AMD 7900XTX vs NVIDIA RTX 4090 - Large Performance Delta
Hello,

I'm considering buying multiple 7900XTX's (partially for hashcat, but also for other tasks) and I was comparing it's performance with NVIDIA GPUs in roughly the same class, aka the RTX4080/4090.
I was referring to these benchmarks as reference: https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/hashcat-1.0.0

While I did expect NVIDIA to perform better (I expected something like 10-30% - since this is the kind of improvements usually seen in gaming benchmarks. Yes I know, compute is different), - however, I did not exepect such a large discrepancy between the cards.
Across the board, the 4090 is like 200% better, and even 300% or more for some hashes. I assume a lot of this can be attributed to all the optimization work that went into CUDA.

Now, my questions are the following:

- Given that the referenced benchmarks are from 2021, how has the performance gap evolved? Has it narrowed?
- Can someone who has the RTX4090 and the 7900XTX share updated benchmarks using the latest hashcat version and drivers?
- Considering recent improvements in the ROCm stack for AMD GPUs, has this significantly impacted the 7900XTX's hashcat performance?
- Are there more optimizations that can be done on hashcats' side regarding AMD cards? 
- What is primary factor of these massive performance differences? Is it due to CUDA's superiority over ROCm, differences in hardware architecture, or hashcat-specific optimizations favoring NVIDIA?

Hopefully someone can clarify things a bit Smile

Messages In This Thread
AMD 7900XTX vs NVIDIA RTX 4090 - Large Performance Delta - by q6h7jsvdf - 08-15-2024, 07:01 PM