Freeze when optimized kernels are used
Hi there,

at first, thank you so much for this awesome piece of software!

I encountered a problem while attacking NTLM (mode 1000):

Brute Force attack with charset using the command: .\hashcat.exe -m 1000 -w 3 -O --increment --increment-min=1 hash.hsh -1 charset.hcchr ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 -o pw.txt --status --status-timer=6000

I get about 300 GH/s with this command. But in these runs, the system completely freezes after a while and needs a reboot. After reboot, I can restore but get only less than 200 GH/s. I have to really shut down the OS and turn it back on to get the 300 GH/s again.

Errors in event log before the freeze are Event ID 14, "nvlddmkm", with the reference to "\Device\Video39".

When I omit the optimized kernel param (-O), everything works fine for days and hours but I only get 210 - 220 GH/s.

Does this sound like a power issue to you? Are the optimized kernels heavier load for the GPU's, or are they only more efficient?
I'm making up that there's a different noise of the rack when the freeze happens - like it's a bit more quiet from a card turning off or sth like that.

Hashcat 6.2.6 runs on a mining rig using a MSI 5310 F PRO and 4 x GTX 1080 Ti + 6 x RTX 2080 Ti. Windows 10 21H2.
Newest Nvidia drivers (536) and CUDA Toolkit (12.2.0).

I appreciate every hint. Only 70 % performance is fine but 300 GH/s would be cooler ...

Thank you,

Nico

Messages In This Thread
Freeze when optimized kernels are used - by nashcat - 06-30-2023, 08:49 AM