NvAPI GPU_NOT_POWERED Errors
(01-05-2024, 02:55 PM)Snoopy Wrote: Hascat is telling you anything you need, but you need to read.

FIRST:
Failed to initialize NVIDIA RTC library.

* Device #1: CUDA SDK Toolkit not installed or incorrectly installed.
            CUDA SDK Toolkit required for proper device support and utilization.
            Falling back to OpenCL runtime.

You missed to install the CUDA SDK, so hashcat will not use CUDA but turning to opencl

See also the warning regarding missing timeoutpatch

SECOND:
Laptops are not made for cracking, see the lines with:

Driver temperature threshold met on GPU #1

This means your graphicscard instantly hit the maximum temperature and to prevent damage, the driver and hashcat throttle your gpu down and/or stops the attack

this is due to the fact, that laptops and their "cooling performance" isnt build for maximum workloads over a longer time

Third:
please use complete commandlines for running hashcat

Guess.Base.......: Pipe but not providing input over pipe
try
.\hashcat.exe -a3 -m0 .\example0.hash ?a?a?a?a
or
.\hashcat.exe -a0 -m0 .\example0.hash your-dictionary.txt

First:
I have also tried installing the SDK and I think the warning may have went away, but I still did not have any kind of performance whatsoever. As in I would have expected it to work even a little bit using OpenCL.

Second:
Similar to my reply above; I have used laptops to crack passwords before and whilst it's not ideal, there is still some performance. I was stuck at 0 hashes and it seemed to make no attempt to crack passwords.

Regarding the temperature, I have run hardware monitoring tools whilst running hashcat and my temperature is no where near 90c. The temperature warning seems to be coming up immediately and innaccurately. While running the benchmarking tool, I get a "Not Supported" error from a function that retrieves the temperature of the GPU, so this would also contradict the temperature warning. 

This warning may be the reason that hashcat is refusing to work, to protect my card by not doing anything (incorrectly thinking my card is overheating). 

Also worth nothing that even when I use the --hwmon-disable flag to ignore temperature warnings, hashcat still doesn't attempt to crack anything and hangs at zero progression.

Third:
It seemed like this has actually resolved my issue. I don't understand why, but if I use full and complete commands then the temperature warning (bug?) goes away and it seems to crack fine. 

I seem to have another strange issue where if I try to use -a3 (brute), it loads the guess masks as single guesses instead of actual masks. I'll look into this now and raise a separate ticket if I need help here.

Thanks for your help

Messages In This Thread
RE: NvAPI GPU_NOT_POWERED Errors - by Snoopy - 01-05-2024, 02:55 PM
RE: NvAPI GPU_NOT_POWERED Errors - by MandrillHorseCat - 01-05-2024, 04:59 PM