Question re attacking one (1) hash....!
I am trying to recover the message/string hashed by HMAC SHA-256. I am not as familiar with HMACs so this is where my confusion is centered. If I had only one SHA-256 hash, I don't think I could get much from it.

But let me explain:

The string which was hashed by HMAC SHA-256 authey is as follows: (E||PN||DH1||DH2)

I know the values of E, DH1, and DH2. [Actually DH1 and DH2 are the public DH keys between two network devices (one wishing to join, and the other authenticating through various steps to allow it).] What should make this rather easy is that the segment of the message I want (PN) is a number between 0000 and 9999.

I have played around with hashcat for the past few days....and a few years ago I had success with a file of SHA-1 hashes, so I know how hashcat works (or some of the features anyway), but of all my skills or areas of knowledge, working with hashes is a weak area (I know encryption...just not hashes). I have read the man pages and looked around the web, and what I would like to know is

1. I presume I can brute force this value...probably by first sticking this hash by itself in a file. But I am still unsure if this is possible since I only have this one hash. is this possible?

2. Would I need to construct any rules for this??? Again, I doubt it... but just wanted to check.

I know to most of you this is probably pretty simple... but I have read everywher and even bothered a few subs at Reddit, but I cannot get a decent answer...

Much appreciation in advance!!!

Messages In This Thread
Question re attacking one (1) hash....! - by lechiffre - 12-08-2014, 07:54 AM