could someone help me with a mask?
>First off, your command line is an utter train wreck. It's obvious you do not know what any of those flags do, you're >just copy/pasting things without reading, learning, or understanding.

Actually, I am reading. I am going by the list of commands under the oclhashcat wiki page. Let's take for example the benchmark section on the page(which, by the way, has a whopping TWO simple examples of the command line on it):

-b, --benchmark Run benchmark
--benchmark-mode=NUM Benchmark-mode, see references below

When I read over this(more then once), what I interpreted this is was that the "-b" was the main "opening" command, with "sub" commands denoted with the double dash. So if I wanted to use the "--benchmark", I had to put the "b" first. Was that correct? Well I guess not. But there are very few command line examples provided with the down load so I had very little to go off of.

The command line I posted was from me going very carefully down the list of options and adding the ones that I felt best fit my purposes. I am new to this and did not know any better. Many of the google results for the forum are restricted even when logged in for some reason, and the ones that are viewable are sparse.

AS for the mask files, neither the wiki page nor the example files give clear examples of defining custom character sets within the file itself. There are no custom character sets in the example files. The wiki page gives this snipptet:

> The general format of 1 single line in the .hcmask file is as follows:

>[?1],[?2],[?3],[?4],[mask]

But never gives an example on how to actually define those character sets within the file(if you can do so) or explain that they have to be defined on the command line. A complete example of a custom character set and its use in a mask would be easy to add but is missing.

>The mask "?a?a?a?a?a[lL]oveisfine?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a" should be written as "-1 lL >?a?a?a?a?a?1oveisfine?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a" on the command line, or as "lL,?a?a?a?a?a?1oveisfine?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a" in >an hcmask file. This is explained very plainly on the wiki:

>or as "lL,?a?a?a?a?a?1oveisfine?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a" in an hcmask file.

An example using a comma for a mask file is never given on the wiki. How would I know I can do that without asking?

I understand this is elitist, high-end tech. However, I have been a programmer for over twenty years and know my way around technology. I have devoted over 20 hours to this software over the last two days, pouring over the limited documentation, googling, and trying my best with what I can gather.

Perhaps the documentation is lacking and a friendly, helpful community is the only option?

Messages In This Thread
RE: could someone help me with a mask? - by turbogiant76 - 07-23-2015, 09:16 PM