Building a new beast
Been doing computers for a long time but just started into cracking when I started Pen testing as part of my Masters degree. I have been planning to build a new beast and wanted get some suggestions on a Motherboard and multiple cards. I have almost everything spec'ed out and have already got a few pieces when they were on sale on egg****. I will be using the machine for things other than just cracking hashes. Looking at the 2600k for the processor, 16GB of ram plus an SSD drive in addition to the other drives I already have. Main OS will be Win 7 64 and will be running Unbutu out of VMware (unless you guys say otherwise).

I have cruised through the forums and saw the debate over the cards between ATI and Nvid. I am a little unclear on on how many hases are usually done since to a noob it seemed like 50k was quite a bit. I guess that will all be in my learning curve. BUT I need to get a beast to get going. I want reliable and something that I don't have to mess with for an hour before I can even get started when I sit down to get it done. I got wife, kids, school work... Blah blah blah Been playing with hardware and building my own sysytems for too long and I know how it can get. I don't mind that I just don't want to fight with drivers and configs all the time since I need to get stuff done and want to learn this and not how to troubleshoot OS and drivers.

What would you guys get if you were building a new system? I don't game much anymore but it would seem a waste not to with so much video power. So what I am looking for is reccommendation on Video cards, mobo, and cooling. Was planning on an HAF case (huge and airflow) and I already have an H50 for the CPU. Really would like to go no case but I have 2 smaller kids and a couple dogs. Stuff gets broke even when you think there is no way possible so the case is a must. I am over the holy crap factor when someone looks at my machine. I just need it to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long post.

Messages In This Thread
Building a new beast - by It_security - 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
RE: Building a new beast - by radix - 09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
RE: Building a new beast - by It_security - 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
RE: Building a new beast - by Rolf - 09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
RE: Building a new beast - by It_security - 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
RE: Building a new beast - by .::Rizwan::. - 09-20-2011, 10:08 PM
RE: Building a new beast - by It_security - 09-21-2011, 05:21 AM
RE: Building a new beast - by forumhero - 09-21-2011, 07:50 AM
RE: Building a new beast - by ati6990 - 09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
RE: Building a new beast - by KT819GM - 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM
RE: Building a new beast - by It_security - 09-22-2011, 04:02 AM