Creating masks from dictionary files
Has anyone here found a reliable way to convert a dictionary file to a mask file?

In other words, suppose I want to perform the following replacements for characters found in a dictionary file:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz = ?l
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ = ?u
0123456789 = ?d
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~ = ?s

For example, for all lowercase letters found in a dictionary file, I want to replace those with '?l' in place of lowercase letters.

I have been trying this with sed, but have been encountering some challenges that I haven't worked through yet.

This comes close, but doesn't get all the way there since sed isn't capable of handling the opening and closing bracket symbols well:
cat file.txt | while read maskline; do echo ${maskline} | sed -e 's/l/?l/;s/s/?l/;s/\x3F/?s/;s/a/?l/;s/b/?l/;s/c/?l/;s/d/?l/;s/e/?l/;s/f/?l/;s/g/?l/;s/h/?l/;s/i/?l/;s/j/?l/;s/k/?l/;s/m/?l/;s/n/?l/;s/o/?l/;s/p/?l/;s/q/?l/;s/r/?l/;s/t/?l/;s/u/?l/;s/v/?l/;s/w/?l/;s/x/?l/;s/y/?l/;s/z/?l/;s/1/?d/;s/2/?d/;s/3/?d/;s/4/?d/;s/5/?d/;s/6/?d/;s/7/?d/;s/8/?d/;s/9/?d/;s/0/?d/;s/A/?u/;s/B/?u/;s/C/?u/;s/D/?u/;s/E/?u/;s/F/?u/;s/G/?u/;s/H/?u/;s/I/?u/;s/J/?u/;s/K/?u/;s/L/u?/;s/M/u?/;s/N/?u/;s/O/?u/;s/P/?u/;s/Q/?u/;s/R/?u/;s/S/?u/;s/T/?u/;s/U/?u/;s/V/?u/;s/W/?u/;s/X/?u/;s/Y/?u/;s/Z/?u/;s/\x20/?s/;s/\x21/?s/;s/\x22/?s/;s/\x23/?s/;s/\$/?s/;s/\x25/?s/;s/\x26/?s/;s/\x27/?s/;s/\x28/?s/;s/\x29/?s/;s/\*/?s/;s/\x2B/?s/;s/\x2C/?s/;s/\x2D/?s/;s/\./?s/;s/\x2F/?s/;s/\x3A/?s/;s/\x3B/?s/;s/\x3C/?s/;s/\x3D/?s/;s/\x3E/?s/;s/\x40/?s/;s/[/?s/;s/\x5C/?s/;s/\]/?s/;s/\^/?s/;s/\x5F/?s/;s/\x60/?s/;s/\x7B/?s/;s/\x7C/?s/;s/\x7D/?s/;s/\x7E/?s/'; done

Perhaps a hashcat utility can be created that can do this?  That said, if there is a way to do it with shell commands, and there might be, I can do it with those.

After converting a dictionary file to a mask file, I intend on sorting the most frequently occurring masks at the top of the file so that those are used first when using the mask file.  I know the sort can be done with linux commands, but I need to work out a reliable way to replace lowercase letters, uppercase letters, digits, and special symbols with the mask symbols.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Creating masks from dictionary files - by devilsadvocate - 08-08-2016, 01:07 PM