First Time User - MD5 Help ("Updating" password w/ digits)
(04-09-2016, 10:31 PM)epixoip Wrote: hashcat and oclHashcat are optimized for short inputs, like passwords, and thus only implement a single MD5 block (55 bytes.) You are wanting to hash 434 bytes, so you need a generic multiblock implementation of MD5, as found in something like OpenSSL.

You are completely confused, yes. There are 145 positions each comprised of 38 possibilities. That means the keyspace is 145^38. That keyspace is well beyond the impossible. Knowing some of the digits over time will make it more practical --  but in order for you to crack it within one year with your GTX 970M, you would need to know 134 of the 145 numbers (meaning you'd only be searching for 10 of them) (and this is assuming of course that oclHashcat could even hash 434 bytes and it somehow magically ran at the same speed as the heavily optimized 55-byte implementation, which of course it would not, it would be much slower.) And since this is a GTX 970M, your laptop would surely die a painful death long before that year was up.

So yes, you are confused and your task is impossible.

Well that's fine then. At least I learned that it was impossible before even trying. :Smile Better that my laptop didn't die a painful death. Any recommendations as to how I might even consider trying something similar?

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Time User - MD5 Help ("Updating" password w/ digits) - by captemo - 04-09-2016, 10:37 PM