hashcat 3.10 Ubuntu 12.04 different GPUs HD5830, HD5970 - what driver works for both?
(10-25-2016, 11:02 AM)atom Wrote: You need the installer from the AMD website. The ideal driver is 15.12, not 15.9.

For Ubuntu 14.04 you don't need to install any of those, just "aptitude install fglrx". This is covered here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

Hi I have two answers above:

The reason I tried to download them is that I was not aware aptitude install fglrx would get the latest version.

I have manually installed most of the ones i listed and they have all been disasters.
several times the caused my setup to be unable to boot.

After installing any of these drivers i listed previously i have one of 3 problems.
1) system will not boot hangs at: Loading cpufreq kernel modules....
2) system will not boot hangs at: setting cpufreq... (something like this)
3) system boots clinfo works but amdconfig is not found.

I had fglrx-dev_15.302-Oubuntu1_amd64_ub_14.01.deb working except for problem number 3 above.

from this: BinaryDriverHowto/AMD
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

i tried this:
3.1. Installing via the command line
Save a backup copy of xorg.conf in case this doesn't work.
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.BAK

Remove/purge current fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle
sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
Reboot.
Install the driver
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle (note after installing the fglrx-amdcccle it would not longer boot - cpu freq issue)

I somehow missed this note however:

From 14.04 forward, fglrx-amdcccle is included when you install fglrx, so the following will suffice:
sudo apt-get install fglrx (which is actually one of the replies above) i will try this next
---or---
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates (so which one do i install ? fglrx or fglrx updates)

what is this? and again which one?
To install the packages for hardware acceleration along with the driver:
sudo apt-get install fglrx xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo
---or---
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo

Generate a fresh xorg.conf BEFORE REBOOTING!
If you are using multiple AMD graphics cards or AMD dual graphics (i.e.: notebook users), use:
sudo amdconfig --adapter=all --initial

Reboot again.
To confirm the drivers are working open a terminal and type:
fglrxinfo

I will try some of these things and post what happens..
I was completely installing ubuntu and trusty-mate every time until I learned to boot from a usb and run recover and shell and purge the drivers.. so this has been time consuming to say the least

Messages In This Thread
RE: hashcat 3.10 Ubuntu 12.04 different GPUs HD5830, HD5970 - what driver works for both? - by ICONOCLAST - 10-27-2016, 04:12 AM