Cracking pdf file with arabic password using hashcat
(11-21-2017, 07:27 PM)philsmd Wrote: this of course depends on what the tool that you use to encrypt the pdf (acrobat reader etc) does with the input. It could use utf-8 by default. it could use utf16-le etc...
The linux echo tool wont change the encoding and therefore the default encoding of your shell is used (probably utf-8 since d985 is the utf-8 version of م)

Therefore you can't really compare a simple echo with what the pdf tool does. It could use different encodings if the chars are outside the ASCII space. There are many possibilities but only a small amount of encodings are used in the wild (the most common are of course utf8, utf16 and utf32 variants).

i think my question is that and i quote " 2.the password hashing algorithm stores the password in unknown charset format when the password is from non-English chars" and i was seeking for and i quote again " 2.if my 2nd guess is correct please tell me what charset?" off course it might depend on the tool used to encrypt the document i am using adobe acrobat but the problem is not the pdf only i also tried a word file but the same result.
if you know what kind of Unicode format they use please tell me.
NB. correction when i say different charset i meant Unicode format.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracking pdf file with arabic password using hashcat - by elias - 11-21-2017, 07:40 PM