Dictiionary Attack - how-to-question
What I am trying to do: I am trying to crack my itunes version 9 backup password in order to get my fotos back, I did this in 2016. I think the password length is between 6 and 14 characters.

What I did up to now: I created a hash file
How I created the hash file: I started a perl script against my manifest.plist.

Then I registered at hashcat.net to learn more about hashcat dictionary OR mask attack which were told to be the only feasible means cracking passwords.

I usually create passwords in a way that the first word of the password starts with an upper-case letter followed by lower-case letters.
Then some of my recents passwords had the special character "@" followed by the current year, which was likely 2016, so the special character was in the between two expressions.

the command I entered was: ./hashcat -m 14700 Manifest1.txt -a 0 password.txt

The Manifest1.txt is the hash file created by the perl script.
The password.txt is the wordlist that contains all the words, special character (@) and digits that I have used in 2016, all these are listed line by line, no comma separatiion or similar

I understood dictionary attack in a way that all expressions listed are combined.

If dictionary attack fails I would then try mask attack. That´s why I am asking.

thnx in advance

Messages In This Thread
Dictiionary Attack - how-to-question - by Grazze - 04-17-2020, 02:29 PM
RE: Dictiionary Attack - how-to-question - by Grazze - 04-19-2020, 09:38 PM