Official Best64 Challenge Thread
Should be back, it was just limited to the top 10
This challenge is a great idea, thank you james123 ! Big Grin

I do wonder though if it might be better if a different source password list was used, as in one without existing modifiers ?

As I am sure we are all already aware most passwords consist of a base word with either a pre /suffix number. Then upper / lower case is often applied. If your test uses passwords that have already had their base word modified then your winning rule list will be a good rule list for passwords that have been pre modified only.

I guess this would mean that the best 64 rule list that you end up with will only be the best 64 rules for that particular password list as it has already been manipulated and modified.

I would be very keen to learn if you would be interested in running your experiment again but using a clean password list, as in base words, lowercase only without existing pre / suffix modifiers ? The resulting best 64 rule winner from a clean password list test would be a better reflection of how most people modify their base words. I am sure the results of that test would probably provide us with a better understanding of the general public’s method of base password manipulation.

Anyway great idea and thanks for your work !
frekvent
the boss xD
Hash-IT:: i partly agree with u : )
(03-27-2012, 04:52 PM)Hash-IT Wrote: only be the best 64 rules for that particular password list

We are not trying to find the best 64 rules but merely rules that have a better success rate than the current best64.rule.

Sure it might be a bit bias towards the PHPBB list but many of the rules we get should be generic and apply to any list.

Just as an example; currently my best64.rule can get 0.8% more of the RockYou list.
Thank you for your reply.

I apologise, I assumed you were trying to find the best 64 rule list.

I believe you may have misunderstood the tone of my post, you have quoted a small part of a sentence I wrote in such a way it appears critical of your attempt, this is not so as I am very grateful for your efforts. I assumed that my original post was clear about that.

I posted in the hope that you would consider expanding your experiment to in fact facilitate the creation of “the best 64 rule list”. I understand what you are doing now is probably just for fun but I thought you had a good idea that would actually yield good results if a different, unmodified, base word list was used.

An interesting idea may be to collect the top 10 winners rule lists and merge them together, remove the duplicate rules and you may end up with a “super list” ha ha ! It may in fact be smaller then 64 rules in which case you will have an “enhanced super list” !!

Anyway, I look forward to the conclusion of your experiment and I really do hope you will consider my suggestion for a follow up test in an effort to produce the best rule list hashcat users can make.

Thanks.
challenge is real HOT!!
BUT.. i really need more time.. i dont know if any others would agree..
but i think it will be more useful in making more powerful rulez..
anywayz.. the choice is yours.. ; )
I wouldn't mind seeing an extension, it looks like everyone is still progressing decently enough.
(03-27-2012, 08:24 PM)Hash-IT Wrote: An interesting idea may be to collect the top 10 winners rule lists and merge them together, remove the duplicate rules and you may end up with a “super list” ha ha !

This would be interesting.

(03-28-2012, 01:14 AM)M@LIK Wrote: challenge is real HOT!!

Indeed it is Smile

(03-28-2012, 01:14 AM)M@LIK Wrote: i really need more time..

Like all good things, they must come to an end. The deadline is set!

This is not to say there will be no more challenges to come in the near future. I hope others pick up from where I left off and bring in their own ideas to a new challenge.

On a side note; it would be great if the top scoring users do a short write-up on here of their approach.

10 hours left!
The challenge has come to an end.

Thank you all for playing.

Maybe some more statistics will follow but congratulations to the winner arex1337 who managed to get 11.95% of the list!

See you next time!

P.S. please remember to post a write-up.
Here is my quick write-up. http://thepasswordproject.com/2012-03-28..._challenge