permission denied: ./hashcat
MacOS Monterey 12.3.1
When I want to use "./hashcat" terminal says: "zsh:permission denied: ./hashcat"
At first it worked, but after I tried "-w 3" it said this. Even if I use it without "-w" it says permission denied.
I then tried using it with bash, but bash says: "bash: ./hashcat: is a directory"
I reinstalled hashcat, but it still said permission denied. I checked if I have permission to access this folder with clicking on it and using "Command+i" and I have full permission to read and write, BUT it still doesn't work.
Can anyone help me or have the same problem?
You're trying to execute a directory, not the hashcat binary. 

(05-14-2022, 11:20 AM)Bananagang Wrote: MacOS Monterey 12.3.1
When I want to use "./hashcat" terminal says: "zsh:permission denied: ./hashcat"
At first it worked, but after I tried "-w 3" it said this. Even if I use it without "-w" it says permission denied.
I then tried using it with bash, but bash says: "bash: ./hashcat: is a directory"
I reinstalled hashcat, but it still said permission denied. I checked if I have permission to access this folder with clicking on it and using "Command+i" and I have full permission to read and write, BUT it still doesn't work.
Can anyone help me or have the same problem?
[quote="pdo" pid='55383' dateline='1652529899']

What do you mean?
I mean it worked for me before, but now it doesn't.
Then how do I execute the hashcat binary?
(05-15-2022, 12:55 AM)Bananagang Wrote: [quote="pdo" pid='55383' dateline='1652529899']

What do you mean?

Here is what I am saying:

1) you are in your home directory
2) under your home directory there is a directory named "hashcat"
3) when you type "./hashcat" your shell interprets that to mean "execute the thing called 'hashcat' that's right here in the current directory (this is what the ./ part means)
4) what is in the current directory named hashcat is a directory, not an executable binary, which is why your shell (zsh) says "zsh:permission denied: ./hashcat", because it cannot execute a directory.  This is further reinforced when you try to use bash to execute it instead and bash says "bash: ./hashcat: is a directory".  The error is right there in black and white.

I don't know *how* you installed hashcat, I don't know *where* your hashcat binary is (though I can guess).  I would suggest taking a basic shell tutorial so you better understand how to use zsh or bash, and how to interpret shell output.
(05-15-2022, 02:49 AM)pdo Wrote:
(05-15-2022, 12:55 AM)Bananagang Wrote: [quote="pdo" pid='55383' dateline='1652529899']

What do you mean?

Here is what I am saying:

1) you are in your home directory
2) under your home directory there is a directory named "hashcat"
3) when you type "./hashcat" your shell interprets that to mean "execute the thing called 'hashcat' that's right here in the current directory (this is what the ./ part means)
4) what is in the current directory named hashcat is a directory, not an executable binary, which is why your shell (zsh) says "zsh:permission denied: ./hashcat", because it cannot execute a directory.  This is further reinforced when you try to use bash to execute it instead and bash says "bash: ./hashcat: is a directory".  The error is right there in black and white.

I don't know *how* you installed hashcat, I don't know *where* your hashcat binary is (though I can guess).  I would suggest taking a basic shell tutorial so you better understand how to use zsh or bash, and how to interpret shell output.

Thank you very much!