GPU not being used.
Hi,

I tried to see if someone asked on the forum already but I couldn't find anyone asking the question.

My computer's details are:
I have a NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 and my cpu is Intel core i7-770 @3.60GHz running Win10 64bit

I am running a The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) machine through my VMware workstation.

When I use HashCat on the The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) I have noticed (on Task Manager) that HashCat is only using my cpu.  The gpu is not being used.  I believe this is the reason HashCat is taking so long in cracking passwords.

From what I understand HashCat would be working a lot more faster for me if it was using the cpu and gpu together.

I have compared what I am doing on my machine to examples on youtube and using HashCat to do exactly the same job the youtube example took a few minutes while my system was telling me it was going to take about 2 and a half hours.

Am I correct in believing that it is the lack of HashCat using my gpu the reason for taking so long?
And if so, how (if any) can I get HashCat (or my The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) machine) to start using my cpu in conjunction with my gpu to process future calculations?

I have been using my The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) machine with HashCat for past 4 months or so, so I haven't mastered it.  Please excuse me for any dumb questions I might be asking.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attached Files
.jpg   aa2hrsCapture.JPG (Size: 54.18 KB / Downloads: 6)
I am aware that my post has put in multiple times the phrase:
'The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well'

Be assured I didn't write that when posting, the website has automatically put it in.
I find it annoying.
(07-19-2022, 07:38 AM)Jarblue24 Wrote: I am aware that my post has put in multiple times the phrase:
'The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well'

Be assured I didn't write that when posting, the website has automatically put it in.
I find it annoying.

K.A.L.I is known for 'The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well', this is done by the forumsoftware on the fly do give you and any other person the hint, DONT use k.a.l.i...

regarding your other questions, hashcat uses opencl, cuda and hip to "talk" to your hardware directly, vmware well is a virtualizing software, virtualizing cpu and gpu and other "hardware"

take a look at your gpu inside your vm, it will be telling you something like this
Code:
root@minty:/var/www# lspci | grep -i vga
00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware SVGA II Adapter
this is not your "hardware graphics-card" it is software emulated, running hashcat inside an emulator with an emulated graphics-card, well just think one second about this and you will get the point

use hashcat or newest hashcat beta from https://hashcat.net/beta/ plain on your windows 10, dont forget to install cuda sdk as stated on the landingpage and everything should be running fine

also, you can run 
Code:
hashcat -I
to see which devices are recognized (and therefore can be used) by hashcat

next thing, your are running a pure kernel, see option -O to use optimzed kernel

last but not least, your hash has as salt "aReallyHardSalt", well it is possible to generate valid mode 1800 hashes with a given salt but it is very unlikey, that your hash is a real world attack target because on normal linux machines this salt is randomly generated

to use cpu and gpu combined (normally hc will use gpu only) you will also need the option -D1,2 combined with -d* but the * depends on the output of hashcat -I