Need help with cracking LUKS
Hey so iam fairly new to hashcat and cracking overall,

i created a fully encrytped The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux in 2017-2019 which i dont know my password to anymore. 

Now i tried to watch some youtube videos and read the hashcat wiki to get started but i have some problems i cant really get ahead of. 

So i first created a Virtual Box with another The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) to try and crack this Luks encryption but since a Virtual box cant use my GPU power i would rather try to crack it on my Windows. 

The problem here is since its a real hard disk not just a file i dont know how to tell hashcat to just crack the harddisk, in Windows atleast. 

In my Virtual Box The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux i can go with 

Code:
hashcat -a 3 -m 14600 /dev/sdb5

when i try the same with Windows it always tells me "no such file or directory"

now i tried to copy the header of the Luks partition to transfer it to my windows but iam not really that good with Linux and iam not sure where i can even find the copy of the header. 

I have also created a second new LUKS full disk encryption on an old hard drive to try and crack that so that i would atleast know how the process looks if i correctly crack an encryption. But since i cant tell windows hashcat how to do that iam still lost.

Now to the password problem. I know the password is between 13 to 16 characters long and i know atleast 7 of these characters to 100%. That would leave 6 to 9 characters to crack from which i also think i could narrow the characters down since i fairly know what i used. I think i should be able to do that but i cant seem to get it done. 

I have already used a mask attack but iam not sure if iam doing something wrong or if my memory about the passcode is that lost. I also know that i used every character only one time so in the whole passcode for example there is only one "a" etc. I tried to find a rule in the wiki for something like that but i couldnt manage to find one. 

My hope is that someone here could help me who knows his way better around then me. 

Thanks in advance Smile
Sounds like you should read this article. It has several explanations of different methods and software to use against LUKS. Remember you will need to identify which VERSION & ENCRYPTION TYPE was used as there is a very diverse selection of LUKS partitions. 

https://diverto.github.io/2019/11/18/Cra...assphrases

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes

Once you have the proper extracted data whether using hashcat or john or other software you can supply it your mask attack with abbreviated character set.
Hey,

thanks for helping me out. I will look into the two articles, i thought i have read somewhere that 14600 is a standart luks that works everywhere but i guess that was wrong.

Lets see where i can get with that.
Your articles were super helpful, i really managed to copy the header. What kinda confuses me is that when i looked at the header it was saying:

Cipher: aes 
Hash: sha256 

after looking at the other article where it shows all the different attack modes for hashes i would have thought i need 25921 Luks 1 sha256 + aes but when i try to crack it with this setting it always says that its the wrong hash type. The 14600 works though. 

But thanks very much. I think i can now create the second header from my test Luks and try to crack that first. So i know iam doing things right. If that works i can probably also crack the important one. 

Iam just curious if there is still a rule to use with a mask attack to let hashcat know that every character is there only one time? I still couldnt find something about that topic.

Code:
Version:        1
Cipher name:    aes
Cipher mode:    xts-plain64
Hash spec:      sha256
Payload offset: 4096
MK bits:        512
MK digest:      ab 97 40 bb 32 64 8e 0f 9e 93 d0 f0 18 2b 05 9c 92 0c 9e bc
MK salt:        b2 0d 5a 74 dc f7 fe 33 06 e4 c1 fa e9 a9 3f 92
                e4 63 91 58 0b c4 4d c9 93 3d e1 74 9a d2 89 eb
MK iterations:  26383
UUID:          9ef1e435-9dfc-4b87-a000-d3acc6c6288c