Multi threaded Password List Generation
Question 
Hi new user here,

Im trying to recover a password for a friend, and Ive noticed when generating word lists only ONE CORE of my 5950x CPU pins at max, and the rest of the CPU is unused. My lists are blowing out to 250gb and taking a long time to generate. Im using a new samsung 990 pro NVMe drive for OS and word generation with 90% free space, so i dont think the drive is slowing down the list creation. Both Linux and Windows seem to only use a single core for world list generation. Also on laptop only a single core is utilized.

How can i get Hashcat to use ALL core when generating password lists? Can the GPU do list creation faster?

my code to create list
Code:
hashcat wordlist.txt -r toggles5.rule --stdout > pwlist.txt

I have noticed if i add parsort
Code:
hashcat wordlist.txt -r toggles5.rule --stdout | parsort -u > pwlist.txt
to remove duplicates when using multiple rules, it will sort using all cores as opposed to
Code:
| sort -u

But i still believe the inital list creation is single threaded.
Interesting I have Intel and I don't have these problems, perhaps it's a matter of your drivers on the system. Try adding -D1 to the commend line maybe it will help.
(03-05-2023, 12:14 PM)marc1n Wrote: Interesting I have Intel and I don't have these problems, perhaps it's a matter of your drivers on the system.

Maybe it is an AMD thing, it happening on my 5950x and my 2700x system, one with windows10 , the other with K@li, both using a single core when generating list.

Quote:Try adding -D1 to the commend line maybe it will help.

Code:
hashcat -D1 wordlist.txt -r toggles5.rule --stdout > pwlist.txt
returns "No devices found/left"

Code:
hashcat -D2 wordlist.txt -r toggles5.rule --stdout > pwlist.txt
Works, starts building list.
CPU at 5% on single core. Task manager has GPU @ 0%

So either hashcat is actually building word list on GPU and task manager isnt reporting?
Or is this some weird kinda bug?
dont use taskmanager to get the utilisation of gpu when using hascat, TM will always report 0-1%, stick to the hashcat output itself when cracking

im not quite sure about --stdout, but i could image that this will really not use gpu as it just "modify and prints" given password candidates wich is more or less not really a task even for lower cpus (bottleneck will be writing these candidates to disk)

when it comes to compute these candidates into hashes okay, gpu, but not for this task