Brute force newbie questions
Good afternoon

I am very new with hashcat
I dont have a high end gpu amd rx 570 slightlly overclocked 4gb
I do have a decent cpu with 22  cores 44 threads (server based xeon)

1/
Lets say the password is short and requires 230 possible combinations
is it possible to divide up all possible combinations(brute force) up bye cores and gpu like ea core does 10 combination + gpu does 10 aswell
cpu -22x10    (phisical cores) or can i run (44 thread based 44x10)?
gpu -1x10
i am aware that the gpu can handle more faster (just wanted to simplify the example)

2/
Does hashcat allow you to save ur progress on random bruteforce attacks?(in case of a power cut)

3/
Can you give me a rough idea howlong in would take to try every combination of a 25 long string (without special characters) with my current hardware?(my new xeon server is still in transport)
(03-28-2023, 01:51 AM)Fox_go Wrote: 1/
i am aware that the gpu can handle more faster (just wanted to simplify the example)

The program does it altomaticaly. But CPU adds only 5 to 10% more speed then my GPU. The number of CPU cores is not soo important. The program will not divide the process, as far I know, each core will get "a seed" to hash. The more core, the more seeds is tested at same time. 

But you don't need use your own computer. I like to rent server in the https://vast.ai Read the vast.ai documentation to know how to do it! 

(03-28-2023, 01:51 AM)Fox_go Wrote: 2/
Does hashcat allow you to save ur progress on random bruteforce attacks?(in case of a power cut)

Yes, just use --restore and --session. Read the faq

(03-28-2023, 01:51 AM)Fox_go Wrote: 3/
Can you give me a rough idea howlong in would take to try every combination of a 25 long string (without special characters) with my current hardware?(my new xeon server is still in transport)

Basicaly... The end of universe! With best hardware, it maybe crack it before sun goes supernova and destroy Earth! You really need to read more about it Smile

[Image: crackingspeed.png]