Implementing OclHashCat Distributed Problems
I'm currently attempting to write a client/server for OCL that will automatically split brute force jobs up to a network of cuda computers and I've run into some problems.

1) Is there a way to define a custom char set of special characters.
ie) -1 '|?
I don't think there is, it would be really nice to be able to have more than four custom character sets that could be read in from a file so you can have things that would upset the command line

2) Is there a way to crack length one passwords, doesn't seem like a big issue but you really don't want to miss those either. (Also what about null passwords?)

3)When dealing with odd length passwords is there a rule of thumb when it comes to splitting should the left or right be the longer side

4) Is there a magical flag that will brute force lower length passwords ?l?l?l?l ?l?l?l?l, have it ocl either start at 1 and go to 8 or have it start at 8 and go to 7, or do I need to do this by hand also?

The example of how I've seen people attempt to do this has been close to the following:
oclHashcat.exe -1 ?l -2 a -m 100 hash.txt ?1?1?1?1 ?1?1?1?1?2

I'm open to suggestions on a better way of passing out the jobs.
Quote:1) Is there a way to define a custom char set of special characters.

ie) -1 '|?

I don't think there is,

sure you can exactly do it that way (and you may need to escape them ofc)

Quote:it would be really nice to be able to have more than four custom character sets

how much do you need and can you explain why you need more?

Quote:that could be read in from a file so you can have things that would upset the command line

i can add it if i have some spare but on the other hand you can do that by yourself. use a shellscript.

Quote:2) Is there a way to crack length one passwords, doesn't seem like a big issue but you really don't want to miss those either. (Also what about null passwords?)

use a cpu based cracker like hashcat or a lookup table

Quote:3) When dealing with odd length passwords is there a rule of thumb when it comes to splitting should the left or right be the longer side

just think this way: you can get best performance is if you have exactly 4, 8 or 12 chars on the left while the sum of all combinations of the right side is equal or bigger than 64 ati or 256 on nvidia.

Quote:4) Is there a magical flag that will brute force lower length passwords ?l?l?l?l ?l?l?l?l, have it ocl either start at 1 and go to 8 or have it start at 8 and go to 7, or do I need to do this by hand also?

yes, there is. it is --increment. the lower end is defined be number of chars of the left + 1, the higher end is the number of chars of left + right. this way you can use --increment even when having a wordlist on the left :-)

Quote:5) The example of how I've seen people attempt to do this has been close to the following:

oclHashcat.exe -1 ?l -2 a -m 100 hash.txt ?1?1?1?1 ?1?1?1?1?2

I'm open to suggestions on a better way of passing out the jobs.

you mean to run distributed cracking like this?

pc1: oclHashcat.exe -1 ?l -2 a -m 100 hash.txt ?1?1?1?1 ?1?1?1?1?2
pc2: oclHashcat.exe -1 ?l -2 b -m 100 hash.txt ?1?1?1?1 ?1?1?1?1?2
pc26: oclHashcat.exe -1 ?l -2 z -m 100 hash.txt ?1?1?1?1 ?1?1?1?1?2

it think its a very good solution since it is transparent. i would do it the same way.