GLIBC problem with Debian
Hello, I've discovered hashcat in this days and I'm testing it against an NTLM hash discovered performing a security consultancy.
I should run it on a debian lenny server but I get an error when I try to start hashcat-cli64.bin:
./hashcat-cli64.bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./hashcat-cli64.bin)

It seems that the GLIBC of my box are too new Sad
/lib/libc.so.6 -> GNU C Library stable release version 2.7, by Roland McGrath et al.

The 32bit version works perfectly but I guess it's less efficient (anyway, it's more fast than john the ripper)!
Speed/sec.: - plains, 25.17M words <- with 5 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz

I also tried on a debian sqeeze box and I get the same behaviour.
Is it possible to have a 64bit compiled with updated GLIBC for debian?

Best Regards and thank you in advance
Paolo
Hashcat more or less assumes you're running on Ubuntu 12.04 right now.

I wrote up a post on how to install a 12.04 environment in a chroot so you could use the newer versions on older Ubuntu versions with old glibc versions, but the same should more or less apply to building the chroot on a Debian box. You set up the chroot, install 12.04 into it, bind a few directories in, and things mostly work (not perfectly, but good enough to get the job done).

http://blog.cryptohaze.com/2012/07/using...-1004.html
(01-20-2013, 02:07 AM)Paolo Wrote: It seems that the GLIBC of my box are too new Sad

No, your version of glibc is not too new -- it's way too old. Minor version 7 vs minor version 14. The version numbers are not decimals Smile

The official supported OS is Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. If you want to use Debian, you will need to run sid.
First of all, thank you a lot for your realtime help (both) !
@epixoip I don't know why but somewere in my mind I've read 2.14 as 2.1.4.. Of course you're right I've got too old glibc and not too new Smile!

@Bitweasil thank you for your suggestion, at this moment I'm a bit scared about it because the server is running some important virtual machines and I really can't risk to make the system instable... I'll probably continue using the 32Bit version for now!

Now the question is... Why the 32bit version works with old glibc and 64bit not?
Thank you all
Paolo