You need -exactly- Catalyst v13.1 for very good reasons
Thread titles says it all.

I have 13.1 installed, working fine. It works with everything except hashcat.

Code:
Hashes: 1 total, 1 unique salts, 1 unique digests
Bitmaps: 8 bits, 256 entries, 0x000000ff mask, 1024 bytes
Workload: 16 loops, 8 accel
Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger set to 90c
Watchdog: Temperature retain trigger set to 80c
Device #1: Barts, 512MB, 900Mhz, 14MCU

STOP! Unsupported or bad installed GPU driver version detected!

You need -exactly- Catalyst v13.1 for very good reasons

Now, I'm not saying hashcat is at fault here. I know AMD/ATI drivers are very often complete crap when it comes to things like this. But my video card has more than 512MB of memory... though I am thinking that may be caused by running in X (Mint 14/Cinnamon).

I've searched Google, these forums and even tried Google Groups. I've found -nothing- telling me why this is happening. Heck, there are even threads here complaining about this very error happening on 12.6 and 12.8 with people.

The card is a Radeon HD 6870 with 1024MB of RAM. It games fine (both native games and games under WINE).

Any help appreciated.

Also, I've already seen the "let's send a complaint letter to AMD" thread. While I am all for that (and have done), it doesn't help my immediate problem.

Thanks.
it really does not matter that it is reporting the memory size incorrectly. it's a cosmetic "defect" only and does not impact anything. and no, it's not hashcat's fault.

but you DO need cat 13.1.
(02-02-2013, 11:19 PM)epixoip Wrote: it's a cosmetic "defect" only and does not impact anything.

hashcat just stops after that message, though.

It seems to be impacting it.
it's stopping because you don't have catalyst 13.1 installed, not because it thinks you have 512MB of ram.

you may think you have it installed, but you don't. you're still using the old version. you need to completely remove the old version (with driver fusion if you're on windows) before installing the new version.
(02-02-2013, 11:23 PM)epixoip Wrote: it's stopping because you don't have catalyst 13.1 installed, not because it thinks you have 512MB of ram.

you may think you have it installed, but you don't. you're still using the old version. you need to completely remove the old version (with driver fusion if you're on windows) before installing the new version.

The old version was removed.

Removal:
Code:
sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh *success*
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf *success*
apt-get install --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* **success**
*rebooted*

Install of new drivers:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases fakeroot libqtgui4
$ sudo chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
$ sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64 --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
$ sudo amdconfig --initial -f
*rebooted*

Then:
Code:
$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 9.012

Some fglrxinfo:
Code:
$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 9.012

X server log:
Code:
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep AMD
[    30.079] (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - AMD Technologies Inc."
[    30.080] (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - AMD Technologies Inc."
[    30.080] (II) AMD Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:9.01.11
[    30.080] (II) AMD Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 9.012                                
[    30.080] (II) AMD Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Dec 19 2012 14:41:10
[    30.283] (--) Chipset Supported AMD Graphics Processor (0x6738) found
[    30.284] (II) AMD Video driver is running on a device belonging to a group targeted for this release
[    30.284] (II) AMD Video driver is signed
[    30.313] (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - AMD Technologies Inc."
[    30.314] (**) fglrx(0): AMD 2D Acceleration Architecture enabled
[    30.314] (--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series " (Chipset = 0x6738)
[    30.314] (==) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original AMD
[    30.409] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM: AMD ATOMBIOS
[    30.409] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2010, AMD Technologies Inc.
[    30.409] (II) fglrx(0): AMD Video BIOS revision 9 or later detected
[    30.525] (II) fglrx(0): Adapter AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series  has 6 configurable heads and 1 displays connected.
[    30.526] (II) fglrx(0):     Desc: AMD FireGL DRM kernel module
[    30.540] Loading extension AMDXVOPL
[    30.540] Loading extension AMDXVBA

There is no old version on my system. I've looked. I have the 13.1 driver installed and running, as you can see by the version string above.
Also... I even manually removed all AMD/ATI related files and install directories.

It was completely nuked before I installed 13.1 and it's just not working.
Hm, perplexing. Everything looks okay, but something must not be right. Atom does several checks to ensure that all of the libraries being loaded belong to the correct driver version. Something is failing those checks.

I cannot reproduce this problem. The only thing I see you're doing different is you're actually building a .deb, but that shouldn't matter (unless when removing the .deb it's not actually cleaning everything up properly.)
(02-03-2013, 12:52 AM)epixoip Wrote: Hm, perplexing. Everything looks okay, but I cannot reproduce. The only thing I see you're doing different is you're actually building a .deb, but that shouldn't matter.

Atom does several checks to ensure that all of the libraries being loaded belong to the correct driver version. Something is failing those checks.

I thought it was odd as well and after searching for awhile and not finding answers, figured I'd post.

Thanks for trying to rule out the simple PEBKAC failings. That is always the best way to begin. Smile
As for removing the .deb, it worked fine. The only stray things I had left after the nuke was a .log and some empty directories. I deleted all of those and then installed. It went fine.

If I can get anything figured out after my mind returns to normal, I will post back here.
The way I upgraded my servers from 12.8 to 13.1 was:

Code:
stop lightdm
sh amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall=force
rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
reboot -f
sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
amdconfig --adapter=all --initial
reboot -f

Maybe give that a shot if you start running out of options.