hashcat-gui portable ?
Is it possible to use hashcat-gui from a portable memory
stick, or the setup force the program to only run from
hard disk ?
I think it is, not sure.

Why should Hashcat install any registry entries?
It's just for cracking hashes, and nothing else!

Not sure, wait for an answer of a member or try to install hashcat-gui directly on your USB!
Rabbitz Wrote:Why should Hashcat install any registry entries?
For a later uninstall ?! No matter what reason it is, but yes, it leaves a
couple of registry entries.

It doesn't work by simply copying the files installed at the hashcat-gui
folder. For what I have seen until now, it is necessary to copy the ini
file, and edited with the proper path and driver letter, to the usb as well.

However, that still doesn't help to solve the problem.
The program looks like looking for the hashcat-gui.ini file being placed at
\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\hashcat\

Any possible solution?
The facility of getting hashcat-gui in a portable usb device would be
valuable, I suppose.
The hashcat gui setup registers the .hcj file type (hashcat job). To do so on the windows operating system, the registry is used. Next to that the setup itself (disclosure: we make use of inno setup) might store additional information about the installed version and selected setup options to the registry for the users comfort.

Apart from that, the hashcat GUI itself is using a INI file and is not making use of the windows registry so far.

I hope this can clarify some things. Hashcat Gui has been programmed with the user in mind to not make unnecessary use of the windows registry or other system resources. But there is the overhead of the setup.exe (in contrast to not having an installer) and the registration of the file type for the ease of use of it.

Power-Users can unpack the setup.exe and create that kind of setup they like.

If you want to run it from a stick, it's probably possible to setup the appdata folder via the APPDATA environment variable. Please give it a try if that works. The ini is placed into %APPDATA%\hashcat\hashcat-gui.ini.

I might add some commandline parameter or something to better control it in a future version, but please try with using environment variables as well.
(12-08-2010, 02:43 AM)hakre Wrote: If you want to run it from a stick, it's probably possible to setup the appdata folder via the APPDATA environment variable. Please give it a try if that works. The ini is placed into %APPDATA%\hashcat\hashcat-gui.ini.

Ok, got it working with some small tweaking in the ini file at the stick !
Thank you for your answer/support.
(12-08-2010, 03:05 AM)boris_ Wrote: Ok, got it working with some small tweaking in the ini file at the stick !

Please share that tweak, it would help me to better understand the needs for a better USB compatibility as well.

-------

And for the registry there is something else I forgot to mention in my previous post. There are some DLL and OCX files that normally get registered on setup. That's going into the windows registry as well.

It should be possible to not need to register those when placed into the same directory as the hashcat-gui.exe. I do not exactly know if those get registered automatically then or they don't need to be registered at all.
(12-08-2010, 03:05 AM)boris_ Wrote:
(12-08-2010, 02:43 AM)hakre Wrote: If you want to run it from a stick, it's probably possible to setup the appdata folder via the APPDATA environment variable. Please give it a try if that works. The ini is placed into %APPDATA%\hashcat\hashcat-gui.ini.

Ok, got it working with some small tweaking in the ini file at the stick !

Honestly, I don't know why I wrote that got it to work from the usb stick,
probably I wrote when I got the ini file and saw that could change paths !

I found that ini file, copy to the usb stick, edited every single line that
had reference to the hard disk, replacing witht the correct usb stick
drive letter and path, but that Inno software seems the main reason to
break the program start.

I'm still working on this and not sure if will solve the situation. Probably
the time spend to check all of this will be too much for my small free
time...

Will see.
At least MSCOMCTL.OCX must be present in windows\syswow64.
I think also another file is also needed. I'll update this detail as soon
as I can.
Wow, I didn´t thought its so much work!