Another question about mask to deal with space
Hi all,

If I know the password start with 4 number and end with one space, what's the mask should be?

I think the possible way is to use --hex-charset to set space to user charset? But I don't know how to use --hex-charset, anybody can help me ?

Thanks a lot.
I'm not sure why you are asking all these mask questions, it is all very well documented on wiki (and/or already asked and answered on forum - use forum search), also see http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack .

To answer the question, why you want to use hex-charset... hex is just another notation to write out the chars... you don't need it for printable/typeable character (in general)...

The command w/ mask is
-a 3 '?d?d?d?d '

do you see the space at the end? This is very basic cmd/dos/shell standard that you need to quote spaces (and other special characters).
(11-20-2013, 01:44 PM)philsmd Wrote: I'm not sure why you are asking all these mask questions, it is all very well documented on wiki (and/or already asked and answered on forum - use forum search), also see http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack .

To answer the question, why you want to use hex-charset... hex is just another notation to write out the chars... you don't need it for printable/typeable character (in general)...

The command w/ mask is
-a 3 '?d?d?d?d '

do you see the space at the end? This is very basic cmd/dos/shell standard that you need to quote spaces (and other special characters).

Thank you for your reply.

I tried it, but -a 3 '?d?d?d?d ' do not work.

My total cmd is :
oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 3 -m 1000 --force -o "ntlm_out.txt" --outfile-format=2 --markov-disable --gpu-temp-disable -i --increment-min=8 --increment-max=8 "ntlm.txt" '?a?a?a?a?a?a 2'

this cmd exit with mask is too small

the password may be start with six ?a and end with space and 2.
I want to separate a big task to small ones and running on several machines.
For example, I want to exhaust eight ?a password space, I separate it to
?a?a?a?a?a?a?a0
?a?a?a?a?a?a?a1
?a?a?a?a?a?a?a2
, then I can run separated small tasks on several machines.

But if it occurs '?a?a?a?a?a?a?a ' or maybe some other special characters, I do not know how to deal with it.
Anybody help me?
(11-21-2013, 02:55 AM)gale6k Wrote: But if it occurs '?a?a?a?a?a?a?a ' or maybe some other special characters, I do not know how to deal with it.
There is not much thinking to do about this. You have to try

Code:
'?a?a?a?a?a?a?a '

Then either the masks with each symbols like

Code:
'?a?a?a?a?a?a?a!'
'?a?a?a?a?a?a?a$'
or use this:

Code:
'?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?s'
(11-21-2013, 02:38 AM)gale6k Wrote: My total cmd is :
oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 3 -m 1000 --force -o "ntlm_out.txt" --outfile-format=2 --markov-disable --gpu-temp-disable -i --increment-min=8 --increment-max=8 "ntlm.txt" '?a?a?a?a?a?a 2'

I don't know why you got that error but by default, oclhashcat does the mask as is (without increment). You then ask for increment with -i and then abolish it by setting the same min and max. It does not make sense. Just try this:

Code:
oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 3 -m 1000 --force  -o "ntlm_out.txt" --outfile-format=2 --markov-disable --gpu-temp-disable "ntlm.txt" '?a?a?a?a?a?a 2'
If it does not work, try replacing the ' by " (replace single quote by double quote). I don't think it will change anything but you never know. Finally, it's in your best interest to use markov chains so I would remove the --markov-disable switch.
(11-27-2013, 06:40 AM)mastercracker Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 02:38 AM)gale6k Wrote: My total cmd is :

I don't know why you got that error but by default, oclhashcat does the mask as is (without increment). You then ask for increment with -i and then abolish it by setting the same min and max. It does not make sense. Just try this:

Code:
oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 3 -m 1000 --force  -o "ntlm_out.txt" --outfile-format=2 --markov-disable --gpu-temp-disable "ntlm.txt" '?a?a?a?a?a?a 2'
If it does not work, try replacing the ' by " (replace single quote by double quote). I don't think it will change anything but you never know. Finally, it's in your best interest to use markov chains so I would remove the --markov-disable switch.

Thanks very much.

I remove the -i, try to replace the ' by ", but still does not work.
I think it because in the windows cmd "main(int argc, char *argv[ ])", when a space appears in the command's args, the argc will plus 1, and anything behind the space will generate a new argv element.

I have test all 33 printable special characters, eight characters(space"&,<>^|) have the same problem.

Finally, I put the space to a space.hcchr file, and use "-1 space.hcchr ?a?a?a?a?a?a?12", then it works.