Cracking an OS X 10.8.2 PBKDF2 Hash
I'm new to hashcat. I got through a lot of searching, because DaveGrohl was too slow for me. I have a PBKDF2 hash from OS X 10.8.2, but when I got here, the amount of information that hit me was too much.

I don't even know where to start.

I don't want anyone to do it for me, but could someone point me in the right direction? (I want to feel accomplished Smile. ) I looked at the wiki, watched some videos, and did more searching, but I could not figure out how to do it.

Thanks.
You can generate a password you know on your system and then try to crack it.
Hmm. I used DaveGrohl to grab the hash off of my computer. Could you link to something that I could use to find the hashcat commands? I own a mac, but I can use VirtualBox to run .exe's.
Aha! I found all of the commands. (it was right in front of me, lol)

I have this command (taken from the wiki):
oclHashcat [options]... hash|hashfile|hccapfile [dictionary|mask|directory]...

So if I have my PBKDF2 hash (from OS X 10.8.2), let's say its 123aBcdE, and I want to do a mask+dictionary hybrid my command would be this:

oclHashcat -m 622Y -a 7 123aBcdE

If I put my hash in a text file, name crackMe.txt, would it work like this (assuming the hash text file is in the same directory)

oclHashcat -m 622Y -a 7 crackMe.txt

I noticed that the PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512 is for TrueCrypt, will it work for an OS X pass?

Thanks for all the help! Smile
The wiki clearly says what hash mode you should use: http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes

7100 OS X v10.8

So you need -m 7100 in your command line...

Furthermore, if you want to use your mac, you are posting in the wrong forum.... because oclHashcat does *not* work on MACs since there is not the needed OpenCL support on those MAC devices (and oclHashcat uses/needs OpenCL ).

You can use cpu hashcat instead, or switch to a non-apple device ( - the usual - VMs do not help at all at this point, since you need direct access to the GPU).
Is everything else correct? I tried to run oclHashcat just a moment ago and it didn't work, so I'll test my password when I get my laptop fixed.

Thank you so much! Big Grin