Interpretation of the cracking speed
Question 
Hi all,

I have used hashcat for a few times. Now I am thinking of buying a video card to try ocl-hashcat to see if it is better. To compare them, especially in terms of speed, I am quite confused. I see several description of speed:

1. on the website, "Performance" section with the speed example of tested computer, it says "xxM c/s"

2. in hashcat output shows "Speed/Sec: xxM plains, yy words"

3. in ocl-hashcat output shows "Speed GPU #1....xx kH/s"

so, what does each mean, and are they comparable?

searched for a while but found no relevant posts.

thanks!
they are basically the same just annotated differently.

1000k = 1 thousand thousand, or 1 million

1000M = 1 thousand million, or 1 Giga Hash

1 Gh is actually 1 billion.

1000G = 1 thousand giga, or 1 Tera Hash

1 Tera is actually 1 trillion

GPU switched to line up with how buttcoiners were measuring speed since people were using mining speeds to compare (for some reason).
thanks for the clarification!
What I feel confused is units like "H/s", "c/s" or "plains". not sure what they mean exactly and how they relate to each other.

(12-10-2013, 10:11 PM)radix Wrote: they are basically the same just annotated differently.

1000k = 1 thousand thousand, or 1 million

1000M = 1 thousand million, or 1 Giga Hash

1 Gh is actually 1 billion.

1000G = 1 thousand giga, or 1 Tera Hash

1 Tera is actually 1 trillion

GPU switched to line up with how buttcoiners were measuring speed since people were using mining speeds to compare (for some reason).
- H/s is the same as c/s, as radix said before, to line up with bitcoin miners. Also note that this value changes in oclHashcat and gets divided by the number of uncracked unique salts.
- plains is the old-style hashcat way of H/s, because hashcat is not lined up.
- words however is different. It's the speed that the wordlist is going to progress. That can be different to plains whenever you use amplifying attacks, like rule-based cracking.
got it. Thank you very much!

(12-12-2013, 04:44 PM)atom Wrote: - H/s is the same as c/s, as radix said before, to line up with bitcoin miners. Also note that this value changes in oclHashcat and gets divided by the number of uncracked unique salts.
- plains is the old-style hashcat way of H/s, because hashcat is not lined up.
- words however is different. It's the speed that the wordlist is going to progress. That can be different to plains whenever you use amplifying attacks, like rule-based cracking.