Where does the hash come from?
Quote:Then why does it say "oclHashcat-plus - advanced password recovery" and "Worlds fastest password cracker"

It is correct.. it doesn't say worlds fastest file decrypter.... which is probably what you are after.
(01-15-2014, 06:05 AM)blazer Wrote:
Quote:Then why does it say "oclHashcat-plus - advanced password recovery" and "Worlds fastest password cracker"

It is correct.. it doesn't say world's fastest file decrypter.... which is probably what you are after.

No, all I wan't to find is the password so I can decrypt the file using the original encryptor/decryptor software and enter it in the pop-up that asks for the password. This is an ad-hoc educational experience for me after getting interested a couple days ago after seeing the cicada 3301 challenge. I'd like to mess around and learn some stuff but when I can't even get a simple 12345 password from a 4.1KB encrypted notepad file using the "Worlds fastest password cracker", it is highly discouraging.
if you had JUST the hash it would be possible. would look something like $2a$10$<string> or $2y$10$<string>.
I used hashX with SHA-1 on the file and got <removed>. Is THIS what I need to recover the password? It runs and runs and runs but I want to know NOW if it will work, instead of waiting days or weeks to find out if it works or not. If this is not what is needed, what IS needed. Remember, I only want the password, not the file decrypted.
(01-15-2014, 06:13 AM)qpotential Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 06:05 AM)blazer Wrote:

It is correct.. it doesn't say world's fastest file decrypter.... which is probably what you are after.

No, all I wan't to find is the password so I can decrypt the file using the original encryptor/decryptor software and enter it in the pop-up that asks for the password. This is an ad-hoc educational experience for me after getting interested a couple days ago after seeing the cicada 3301 challenge. I'd like to mess around and learn some stuff but when I can't even get a simple 12345 password from a 4.1KB encrypted notepad file using the "Worlds fastest password cracker", it is highly discouraging.

Correct me if I am wrong, C3301 this year had a strong focus on RSA and PGP as well as the usual stenography. It looked at things such as exploiting low exponent keys and factorizing, prime searching and using these to generate the private key to decrypt messages and what not amongst other deciphering challenges.

The challenges of C3301 mainly involve encryption/decryption and NOT hashing (which is what the hashcat suite deals with).

Please refer to my earlier post if you are still confused as to why hashcat may not be useful for what you are after.
Cool, now that you have broken the rules of the forum, you can take a week to read them and let it sink in. If it doesn't take you a full week, head over to the wiki and read about how to use Hashcat.