Where does the hash come from?
I'm new to all this so bear with me. I have encrypted strings using http://www.dnsqueries.com/en/encrypter.php and successfully decrypted them using oclHashcat through the HashcatGUI by BlandyUK by using the built-in clipboard function and the known encryption method.

For decrypting an encrypted file:
I have the choices of selecting a hash file or posting a hash from the clipboard. My question is what hash am I supposed to put as the input? Specifically, where does it come from in relation to the encrypted file. Is it contained somewhere in the encrypted file or is it generated from the encrypted file using an external hash generator with the encrypted file as an input?

I know this must sound retarded but I just started this adventure 2 days ago and I have searched the wiki and hundreds of websites and haven't found the answer.

Thanks in advance
what?
I have a notepad file with a single word in it that I encrypted using Blowfish encryption with the password 12345 and now I want to use Hashcat to decrypt it to see if I'm doing it right. Where do I get the hash from to obtain 12345 as the output crack?
first, while blowfish is in fact an encryption algo, the plaintext value is hashed, not encrypted.

second, you are answering your own question. the hash is in the file so you pass the file as a argument.
(01-15-2014, 05:02 AM)qpotential Wrote: I have a notepad file with a single word in it that I encrypted using Blowfish encryption with the password 12345 and now I want to use Hashcat to decrypt it to see if I'm doing it right. Where do I get the hash from to obtain 12345 as the output crack?

You have

1) encryption<=>decryption
You can go backwards and forwards if you know the encryption key

2) One way message digest (hashing)
There is no key involved generally speaking, the same input will always result in the same output (aka the hash). To 'output the crack' you are actually running in different inputs and trying to obtain that same output, you are not decrypting but searching for hash collisions.

You are probably confused because some algorithms are used in both hashing and encryption/decryption, while the algorithm may be the same the process is altered making them different. You cannot decrypt hashes, otherwise that would defeat the whole purpose of them.

tl;dr You cannot find the hash for your encrypted notepad file since encryption/decryption is different to one-way hashing.
When I put the file in as the "hash file" it says "in line 1 ( HCN 0.1): in line 2 () Line-length exception. ERROR: no hashes loaded". I'm using MEO Encryption Software v2.17 to encrypt the file. http://www.nchsoftware.com/encrypt/meofreesetup.exe
(01-15-2014, 05:19 AM)blazer Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 05:02 AM)qpotential Wrote: I have a notepad file with a single word in it that I encrypted using Blowfish encryption with the password 12345 and now I want to use Hashcat to decrypt it to see if I'm doing it right. Where do I get the hash from to obtain 12345 as the output crack?

You have

There is no key involved generally speaking, the same input will always result in the same output (aka the hash). To 'output the crack' you are actually running in different inputs and trying to obtain that same output, you are not decrypting but searching for hash collisions.

You are probably confused because some algorithms are used in both hashing and encryption/decryption, while the algorithm may be the same the process is altered making them different. You cannot decrypt hashes, otherwise that would defeat the whole purpose of them.

tl;dr You cannot find the hash for your encrypted notepad file since encryption/decryption is different to one-way hashing.

Are you saying that Hashcat cannot do anything, even brute force, to obtain the password to an encrypted file, even when the encryption algorithm is known?
(01-15-2014, 05:40 AM)qpotential Wrote:

You have

Are you saying that Hashcat cannot do anything, even brute force, to obtain the password to an encrypted file, even when the encryption algorithm is known?

no it cant.
(01-15-2014, 05:51 AM)radix Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 05:40 AM)qpotential Wrote:

You have

no it cant.

Then why does it say "oclHashcat-plus - advanced password recovery" and "Worlds fastest password cracker"
feel free to find something else.