r9 290x + B7059F77AV6R
Hi there,

I'm currently evaluating to purchase a GPGPU rig. Since the R9 290X now seems to work pretty good I'd like to put up to 8 of these guys into a Tyan B7059F77AV6R. I did get an offer from a Tyan distributor for the barebone which prices at ~3700 Euros.

If I understood everything correctly I'd need to buy a CPU, the GPUs and RAM. After that the box should fly.

The distributor warned me about AMD cards since they are not officially supported by Tyan. But a lot of ppl here are using the with B7015 barebone. Is there a known to work config for the B7059 with R9 290X?

Also, can someone explain the difference between the B7059F77AV6R and the B7059F77AV6R-2T?

regards,
Dark-Sider
Search the forums, epixoip has posted bits on how to get it up and running.
(01-24-2014, 12:12 PM)Dark-Sider Wrote: Is there a known to work config for the B7059 with R9 290X?

it will work, but it will not work out of the box. it requires a bit of skill, finesse, and experience. if you try to just slap all the parts together and turn it on, it will not POST. once you get it to POST and get an OS installed, you will have some grub issues to work out. once you get the grub issues worked out, you have some config issues to work out to get it to work with hashcat. so it's definitely doable, it's just not for novices.

(01-24-2014, 12:12 PM)Dark-Sider Wrote: Also, can someone explain the difference between the B7059F77AV6R and the B7059F77AV6R-2T?

-2T has a 2x 10GbE mezzanine card instead of 2x 1GbE.
Hi,

thanks for clarifying that. I have plenty of linux know how so I might accept the challenge. I already read several other posts from you about the correct BIOS settings for the barebone. As long as I don't need to build a _custom_ BIOS and flash it to box I should be fine!

I spoke with a Tyan distributor in Germany and they can sell me the case. There is also a -N Version available which has special cooling and BIOS tweaks for NVIDIA based cards. Is the -N Version recommended or should I stick to the basic version?

Finally - is it necessary to have 2 CPUs present on the board (e.g. to handle all the PCIe lanes) or does one CPU suffice.

regards,
Darky