CudaHashcat 1.30 TrueCrypt Test Fails
CudaHashcat 1.31 seems to fail under the following circumstances:

Using TrueCrypt 7.1a, create a 1 megabyte encrypted file container as a Standard TrueCrypt volume named Test.tc using the default AES Encryption Algorithm with the RIPEMD-160 Hash Algorithm. Use a simple 4 character password such as Test making it easy to crack. Format the drive, then mount it in TrueCrypt to verify it is readable. Quit TrueCrypt and copy the file container test.tc to a fresh copy of the cudaHashcat-1.30 system.

Using Windows XP SP 3 with an updated NVidia display driver version 337.88 or greater, open a DOS box and change directories to the cudaHashcat-1.30 folder. Create a cmd file Test1.cmd and add the following lines:

cudaHashcat32.exe -a 3 -m 6211 Test.tc ?a?a?a?a
pause

Save, then run the cmd file. On my system(s) Hashcat loads and begins operating as expected, however it processes the entire hash set in about an hour before exiting as if it was unable to find any password.

Adding the known password to a dictionary file and re-running Hashcat with a mode 0 straight attack returns instantly with a status of Exhausted and no password found.

Is there anything I can do to try and track down this type of failure?

Thanks in advance.
hashcat takes only the first 512(?) bytes as input, not the whole container.

btw, people still use XP?
Did exactly the same settings (1mb container, Standard TrueCrypt volume, password Test, whole container) in oclhashcat and it cracked just fine also took less than a second to crack.
Thank you very much for checking, Pixel. I'll retry the operation on a 64 bit machine to rule out my 32 bit configuration as a cause.

Regarding XP use: I recently saw a chart showing that something like 30 percent of the existing Windows user base is still on XP. I know I need to upgrade but that old XP workhorse runs so darn well I just can't give it up quite yet. It's comforting to know that the vast majority of ATM's also run XP, so I don't feel so bad about being part of the problem :-)
(09-04-2014, 04:53 PM)SpecialK Wrote: It's comforting to know that the vast majority of ATM's also run XP
"comforting" is a weird synonym for "scaring". Not to mention they probably have Microsoft's long term support package.
Yes, I recall from the article the ATM's run XP Embedded, a version of the OS that is still supported by Microsoft. Guess they like to be able to get cash once in a while and it's never wise to piss off a bank that has all your money.

As far as comfort v.s. concern, when was the last time an ATM gave you the wrong amount? I've been waiting for the decimal point to slip to the left a few positions for a while, but so far no joy.

I did see a couple of crazies bash one over at a Kangaroo store with a beat up truck and take off with it, but I guess that would have happened regardless of the OS.
https://www.google.de/search?q=atm+crash&tbm=isch