oclHashcat 1.30 vs. Catalyst 14.10 on Linux
Hello,

I'm trying to get oclHashcat work on our dual HD 7990 machine. I followed the tutorial here:

http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

I did that with the exact versions described, and also tried Debian 7, Ubuntu 14.04 with both the latest AMD Catalyst driver (14.10) and the lowest supported one for oclHashcat 1.30 (14.6b).

There are two kinds of results:
a) The driver works fine, I can see the GPU's with clinfo, but oclHashcat doesn't recognize the drivers as supported. If I try --force, the machine creashes
b) The driver doesn't work and can't run X

Right now I have a The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) 1.0.9 install, and everything looks great, even my glxgears are spinning like hell, but still I'm stuck with case a).

I tried to solve this problem for _days_, I think I've read all posts in the topic, without luck.

Any help on debugging would be highly appreciated...
at least it's known the 7990 works with v1.30 and 14.6b
(09-22-2014, 11:47 AM)atom Wrote: at least it's known the 7990 works with v1.30 and 14.6b

Can you tell me about the kernel version/distro you tested it with? Was it 32 or 64 bit?
It definitely works on both 32 bit and 64 bit with ubuntu 12.04 (as recommended in the guide, I am unsure why you say you followed the guide, but you used ubuntu 14.04).

There are some things that you need to double-check:
- clinfo output to troubleshoot (post it on pastebin and link it here s.t. we can check the version number of catalyst etc)
- make sure that no open source driver for the graphics cards is installed (they normally get shipped w/ the distros, but you need to uninstall them)
- use this driver w/ oclHashcat 1.30 http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...=Linux+x86 ( linux-amd-catalyst-14.6-beta-v1.0-jul11.zip )
- you shouldn't have many libOpenCL.so files on your filesystem, nor the AMD APP SDK installed, this most of the times gives some hard to troubleshoot conflicts
- if you still can't get it to work, you may get faster help on IRC's #hashcat channel ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hashcat )
(09-22-2014, 02:02 PM)philsmd Wrote: It definitely works on both 32 bit and 64 bit with ubuntu 12.04 (as recommended in the guide, I am unsure why you say you followed the guide, but you used ubuntu 14.04).

I tried both 12.04.4 and 14.04. The clinfo output with the beta driver on 12.04.4 is here: http://pastebin.com/niJ8igFx

(09-22-2014, 02:02 PM)philsmd Wrote: There are some things that you need to double-check:
- clinfo output to troubleshoot (post it on pastebin and link it here s.t. we can check the version number of catalyst etc)
- make sure that no open source driver for the graphics cards is installed (they normally get shipped w/ the distros, but you need to uninstall them)

How can I know which drivers to uninstall? I grepped dpkg output and tried to remove xserver-xorg-video-* but it causes dependency issues. Also the wiki says that I should install xserver-xorg-video-ati for example.

Quote:- use this driver w/ oclHashcat 1.30 http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...=Linux+x86 ( linux-amd-catalyst-14.6-beta-v1.0-jul11.zip )

I forgot to mention this before: The beta driver works with some distros to a point but kills the graphics card output (I can only work through SSH) and after less than a second the oclHashcat process becomes unresponsive:

$ ./oclExample400.sh
oclHashcat v1.30 starting...

Device #1: Tahiti, 2918MB, 1000Mhz, 32MCU
Device #2: Tahiti, 2967MB, 1000Mhz, 32MCU

Hashes: 1 hashes; 1 unique digests, 1 unique salts
Bitmaps: 8 bits, 256 entries, 0x000000ff mask, 1024 bytes
Rules: 1
Applicable Optimizers:
* Zero-Byte
* Single-Hash
* Single-Salt
Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger set to 90c
Watchdog: Temperature retain trigger set to 80c
Device #1: Kernel ./kernels/4098/m0400.Tahiti_1526.3_1526.3 (VM).kernel not found in cache! Building may take a while...
Device #1: Kernel ./kernels/4098/m0400.Tahiti_1526.3_1526.3 (VM).kernel (79316 bytes)
Device #1: Kernel ./kernels/4098/bzero.Tahiti_1526.3_1526.3 (VM).kernel (30484 bytes)
Device #2: Kernel ./kernels/4098/m0400.Tahiti_1526.3_1526.3 (VM).kernel (79316 bytes)
Device #2: Kernel ./kernels/4098/bzero.Tahiti_1526.3_1526.3 (VM).kernel (30484 bytes)

Starting attack in stdin mode...

$H$9y5boZ2wsUlgl2tI6b5PrRoADzYfXD1:hash234

From this point I can't exit or kill the process and it doesn't seem to be doing anything useful. Edit: I also tried this with more hashes, it seems that after the first correct guess the process stops working.

Quote:- you shouldn't have many libOpenCL.so files on your filesystem, nor the AMD APP SDK installed, this most of the times gives some hard to troubleshoot conflicts
- if you still can't get it to work, you may get faster help on IRC's #hashcat channel ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hashcat )

I didn't install AMD APP SDK but the clinfo output shows this line:

Version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1526.3)
from the above output i'd say your hashcat is working fine. How did you try to kill the process?
(09-22-2014, 04:02 PM)undeath Wrote: from the above output i'd say your hashcat is working fine. How did you try to kill the process?

kill; kill -9 - None worked, the process is defunct

Maybe you are right about hashcat working fine. I guess it is the beta driver that craps its pants, but the result is the same.

I have to admit I was confused about Catalyst versioning... Now I guess I try to downgrade to 1.21 and use the stable driver.
your problem sounds like it's heat or power related.
So I managed to downgrade to 1.21 (btw. the link on the hashcat.net frontpage for this version is broken), I've set up both The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) (64 bit) and Windows 7 (32-bit) with Catalyst 14.4. The results are the same: oclHashcat starts up, the screen turns off and the process hangs. A hash might be cracked in the background.

I tried to unplug the video cards one by one, without luck. We have a 1500W power supply, a case with 5 big ass fans, and the room itself is pretty cold. Also, the machine worked before we tried to upgrade from an older oclHashcat version that now says it is outdated and won't start.

Any ideas?
Just a small update on this issue:

I managed to trace back the problem to one of the video cards. What I was seeing was that the primary card reported overheating and shut itself down, freezing oclHashcat. After swaping the video cards and set the other card as primary the behavior remained the same except that the screen didn't go blank as the new primary card could still function. Now oclHashcat works with one card, I guess we'll try to exchange the other card as the guarantee is still valid.