Totally lost!
Sad 
Sorry if the questions I am going to ask are actually really simple! Even after reading help pages and watching videos, I still don't get what to do with hashcat! I know someone that had lost her 6 digit password to a website and would like to "crack" it. I have downloaded Hashcat Gui and Hashcat v0.48. I have some numbers that might have been used in the password and I have converted the numbers to an MD5 hash through a generator. I suppose the mode I should use will be "Brute-force". However, I realised that none of the videos or help pages show where I should put the website link. So, I don't get how cracking of passwords are supposed to happen if there is no target!

I am also facing problem using command prompt, even after scanning, running as an administrator, when I type in CD" my location of the file for hashcat" it says that it cannot find the path specified...

I am totally new to password cracking and all the rules are really hard to comprehend... Thanks for reading this long message! Please, please enlighten me! All the websites I have seen lamented how "easy" it is to crack passwords but it is super difficult to me! I hope I can finally use hashcat!
you are confusing online password cracking and offline password cracking. what you are looking to do is online password cracking, but hashcat is for offline password cracking. so hashcat cannot do what you are wanting to do.
(12-03-2014, 06:15 AM)epixoip Wrote: you are confusing online password cracking and offline password cracking. what you are looking to do is online password cracking, but hashcat is for offline password cracking. so hashcat cannot do what you are wanting to do.

I see... Thank you for replying! What does offline password cracking do? Are there any other applications for online password cracking?
offline password cracking is for cracking password hashes that have been recovered from a password database or sniffed off the wire, and also for non-hash formats such as encrypted files.

for online password cracking check out THC Hydra.
(12-03-2014, 07:39 AM)epixoip Wrote: offline password cracking is for cracking password hashes that have been recovered from a password database or sniffed off the wire, and also for non-hash formats such as encrypted files.

for online password cracking check out THC Hydra.

Thanks for replying!! I am not really sure whether I got what's offline password cracking but I will try out THC Hydra (and of course, continue trying to figure out Hashcat)!
@greenhasher

Well, Offline Password Cracking describes the Method/Way to obtain a plaintext Password from an Hash (e.g. MD5 or SHA512 etc.).

What you normally would do is obtaining a Password Hash by, as epixoip said, sniffing it of the Wire (For Example Wireshark) and then feed this Hash to your (ocl)Hashcat by supplying the Type of the Hash and, to get quicker Results, a Wordlist with which Hashcat can compare the given Hash.

I hope, the Explenation is correct - if not, I' pretty sure epixoip will correct me on this ;-)