oclHashcat 1.31 Fan control issue
Hi,

recently I've been seeing some issues related to fan control. First of all I can not regulate the fan control manually while hashcat is active, but there is already a bugreport for that so....

Secondly: my card keeps getting very warm (near and to the abortion temp) but hashcat does not regulate the fan control higher than 15%, apparently theres something wrong with it.

I have attached 2 screenshots that show hashcat on start (for the temperature triggers) and once it has reached near abortion temperature, and far over retain trigger temp. The card is a ATI Radeon HD 7850 and I'm using windows 7.
Recently had some filesystem issues, so I re-installed the ati drivers just for protection and re-downloaded hashcat. The issue seems to be new, and seems to be appearing on restore of a job of mine.

Thanks for looking into it.

Tron

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hashcat does not control the fan speed, and never has.
well... counter indications are as follows and make me doubt oclHashcat has no direct influence on the gpu fan speed:

https://hashcat.net/trac/ticket/439
https://hashcat.net/trac/ticket/238

also it overwrites the manually set fanspeeds. as soon as i quit hashcat, the fanspeed rises to the fixed levels. So I still consider this an issue... news is that after a night of continually running it seems to have adjusted the levels to get back to retain temp. Any ideas why it would take some run-time until this works?

(new screenshot attached)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-30-2014, 11:58 AM)Tron Wrote: well... counter indications are as follows and make me doubt oclHashcat has no direct influence on the gpu fan speed:

Those two tickets are related to Overdrive profiles and the --gpu-temp-retain switch, as oclHashcat attempts to restore the default profile upon exit. #439 is specifically related to Overdrive6 cards, and you have an Overdrive5 card.

How exactly are you attempting to set the fan speed? Are you using the --gpu-temp-retain switch?

(11-30-2014, 11:58 AM)Tron Wrote: Any ideas why it would take some run-time until this works?

It takes some time to work because you are essentially relying on your GPU BIOS to control the fan, which is programmed for gaming workloads, not compute workloads.
actually the gpu temp retain switch is running with default values which is 80C and 90C for abort.

so this kind of behaviour is normal and I just havent noticed it before? Would be great Wink
Maybe I should set the retain temp somewhere lower so the fan has more time to kick in ^^

so thanks! I guess this is a solved thread then Smile
Well no, it's not normal. You should absolutely be able to set the fan speed manually. That's why I'm trying to figure out how exactly you're setting the fan speed.
Catalyst Control Center -> Performance -> AMD OverDrive -> Activate Manual Fan Controls (additionally I enable Graphics overdrive above and klick "apply" Wink
I'm not too familiar with Windows, but from the symptoms you are describing, I presume that method is only setting it for the default profile and not the performance profile. When oclHashcat switches to the performance profile you lose your fan setting, then when it switches back to the default profile you get it back.

Have you tried using something like MSI Afterburner instead?
nope, but sounds very reasonable. On the other hand, why would OverDrive be setting the "default" profile? Wink I will give it a try asap.
Overdrive has two different profiles, CUSTOM_DEFAULT and CUSTOM_PERFORMANCE.