Multi-GPU Setup
I have been given a HP DL585 G7 server, according to the HP Spec's, it has the following for PCI-Express

Expansion
# Technology Bus Width/Connector Width Form Factor Notes
1 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
2 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
3 PCI-Express x16 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
4 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
5 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
6 PCI-Express x16 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
7 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
8 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
9 PCI-Express x16 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
10 PCI-Express x8 /x16 Full Length/Full Height
11 PCI-Express x16 /x16 Full Length/Full Height

based on this, in theory would be possible to load it up 8-11 with video cards as an oclHashcat box? I read lots about the Tyan 77 motherboard, but a free server is free.. also I have 3 AMD/ATI R7 250x (non-reference boards), running in a desktop, so if this will work, I will update to the reference boards.

In this case if I an squeeze in 11 cards in the single box, are the 250/250x or cheaper cards and more of them, better than a single R9 card of some sort?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to use more than 8 gpus you must use nvidia. The latest nvidia chipset is recommeded over amd.
so in trying to max out and keep costs somewhat in line, I see the GTX 750 TI as a recommended card, but it's not a reference design, should it be ok? due to size might need reference design cards.. to be safe?
All the performance cards are dual slot, even the 750Ti. So the maximum for the server are 5 cards. The GTX750Ti is nice but relativly slow. Five of those are slower than two GTX970 at the same costs.

The question is: what do you want to do with it? Fiddle around or going professional?
Fiddle around.. nothing professional.
Have you actually looked at the mainboard and chassis layout for this server? The only way you'll be able to run decent GPUs in this chassis is if you use external power supplies, and even then you won't be able to fit more than 5 unless you use risers. Or you can maybe stuff it full of low-end single-slot GPUs that don't require external power, but even then you have to know whether the BIOS supports 64-bit PCI-e addressing (i.e. above 4G decoding.) If the BIOS only supports 32-bit PCI-e addressing then you will only be able to run 3 GPUs off this board.
does hashcat works on laptop if yes why is hashcat gui is not recognizing my hccap file
Thread hijacking is not allowed. Take a week off to read the rules.
all, thanks for advice and feedback, it's greatly appreciated. I have not yet looked at the server, and based on what I am getting may not be worth it.. and the fact I am just learning and messing around nothing professional, might just stick with what I have running, today..

appreciate quick responses. I have learned a ton reading through the forums..