Simple Question - Extreme Beginner
Good Afternoon,

I have been reading / attempting a simple command in cudahashcat64. My interest in hashcat is because i have a USB flash drive that was hidden by TrueCrypt a year ago, and of course i no longer remember the password to mount the drive and see whats on it, if anything. So, I decided to start with the basics, learn, and hopefully one day be able to retrieve my password from the annoying truecrypt volume. Sadly, i guess even the basics of the basics are beyond me atm.

What i am trying to do is take the example that was provided with the download, and just get it to output it into a file called crack.txt that is a text file within the folder. It completes everything fine but does not report it to the .txt file. Please advise

My command line:

"cudahashcat64.exe -m 400 example400.hash example.dict -o crack.txt
pause"

Its basically the example code just with the output value. To me it seems pretty simple but its not delivered to the crack.txt file. Is there something wrong with the syntax or am i a nub who should just give up.

Thanks,
I think that the only problem here is that you already cracked this particular hash and hence oclHashcat won't crack it again and again.

If you *do not* enable the --potfile-disable switch, hashes that were already cracked, will be removed with the help of the file "cudaHashcat.pot" (in your case).

So you can try to run this:
cudaHashcat64.exe -m 400 -o crack.txt --potfile-disable example400.hash example.dict

and the crack.txt shouldn't be empty anymore.

P.s. you could also simply delete cudaHashcat.pot (but this is not recommended in general).

If you are looking carefully at the output of cudaHashcat64.exe you would also see something like this:
"INFO: removed 1 hash found in pot file"
if this is the case (without --potfile-disable in your particular example), then the hash would be removed from the internal state of oclHashcat and it won't be considered again for cracking.

Also always look at the status line, in your case (1 hash only) it should always say:
Status.........: Cracked
First thanks for the quick response,

Yea that definitely worked, i figured it was something extremely easy. I guess it will take a lot of time to become intimate with the program.

I appreciate the help, Thank you.