290x Stops Cracking and Hangs OclHashcat
(07-03-2015, 11:39 AM)mastercracker Wrote: Well, if you can run -d 2,3 without problems and have trouble -d 1, I think that you have proven what the problem is. You can always try to swap the faulty card with another and see if it still causes problem but chances are that it will unless it was used with a PCI-e extender (that could be faulty too).

No pcie extenders, just a big case and a tri sli/xfire board. Up until about 2 months ago it had 3 non-reference 280x cards that worked fine but would absolutely cook the middle card (it would stay at 95-98C and throttle way down), so I finally moved to the more performant and far better cooling 290x's.

I ran them in windows for a month or so without isssue not touching clocks or fan settings. And even when I switched to Ubuntu server and played a little with using the powertune settings it didn't do that before where it immediately hangs until this week, but I let it continue cracking over the last weekend while I was away with the hung card and when I came back I powered it off and did the PSU swap… I'm not sure which did it in. Either way, that card has been sent off for RMA, and the remaining 2 cards have been cracking since without a hickup.

Thanks
As a follow up to this, the replacement card returned from the RMA works great. Everything seems happy again even with mild overclocks. I believe I simply had a defective card, otherwise everything seems fine.