Total newbie needing advice
OK, I understand I should use the forum search first but I have and although the answer may already be out there I may have not been asking the correct question to find it.

So please take pity on me. (only joking).

Here's where I am.

I have a wpa .cap file for a router in which I believe has a password of 8 lower case letters, I know I have to run it through wpaclean and then aircrack -J to produce an hccap file.

provided I've got the above correct what is the command line for oclhashcat to begin cracking?

I have googled it but those tuts go on about wordlists and rainbow files etc, but I believe oclhashcat has it's own way of doing it.

I know it could take a long time but I'm just trying a POC.

Some help would be appreciated.
Googling for "hashcat wpa", the first hit is:

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=cracking_wpawpa2

Does this help?
~
And in your case, if it's 8 lower case, the mask would be ?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l, using attack mode 3 (-a 3), so something like:

[hashcat executable] -m 2500 -a 3 myfile.hccap ?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l
~
(11-15-2015, 11:24 PM)royce Wrote: And in your case, if it's 8 lower case, the mask would be ?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l, using attack mode 3 (-a 3), so something like:

[hashcat executable] -m 2500 -a 3 myfile.hccap ?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l

Thankyou Royce for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.
This is goint to sound like a stupid question but where do I put the hccap file?

I've had it on the desktop and in the root folder but I keep getting this

ERROR: 30030.hccap: No such file or directory.
If your .hccap file isn't in the same dir as hashcat, you'll have to put in the path, just like every other command line interface out there. Basic OS usage stuff you should learn.

[hashcat executable] -m 2500 -a 3 [path to where your HCCAP file is]/myfile.hccap ?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l

or in your case, I think you should just copy it into your hashcat folder with the .exe and .bin files, etc.