Back hand
Hello gentlemen,

I've been reading this forum for about 5 minutes and I know I am out of my depth, but surely you are more than smart enough to answer my dummy questions, if you geniuses would be kind enough to indulge me.

Here is my situation:

I have an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade flash drive with SanDisk Secure Access V2, with which I having a password problem.

The password is about 20 characters long, and it uses special characters.  I wrote down the password very carefully, but I didn't lose it.  I still have it.  But it doesn't work.  I have tried about 30 different combinations... caps lock, etc.

Needless to say, this is weird because I had to enter the password TWICE in order for Secure Access to accept it.

I can see what I think are the encrypted files {aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-eeee-ffffffffffff}.dat in a Vault folder.

Questions:

1)  Given that I know all of the characters of the password, and it's likely just one character off, does that change my plan of attack in breaking it?

2)  I think the Secure Access program will accept 5 or 6 attempts before (it shuts down?)  Does that matter?

3)  Am I totally screwed?

I can already feel the veterans on this forum wanting to back hand me for sounding so stupid, but I'd rather endure the beating than take advice from someone dumber than me, which I (surprisingly to you) find to be very common.  

I would remind you all that the greatest challenge of understanding something complicated is to explain it to someone who doesn't.  Only some people are able to do it successfully.

If you could send me to the children's table for a solution, or even just point me in the right direction, I would be most deeply grateful.

Thank you very much, gentlemen.

Mike
Sorry bud hashcat supports a lot of things but not silly crap like 3rd party USB crypto ... I would not trust it at all .. use something like  veracrypt or even BitLocker...

I would look at something like autohotkey and make yourself a sweet brute force script for it.  You can use AutoScriptWriter.exe to do most of the work for you. If you know how long it is and most of the charters you can make your own append prepend and substitution attacks.

post the password you think it is and somebody may send you a list of passwords to try ;P
Do you use a notebook? Maybe the NumLock was on when you entered the password and now it's off (ot vice versa). You wouldn't be the first one.