First GPU Rig - A few questions
mamexp: Please stop double-posting, this is against the rules. I've already merged four of your posts, if I have to merge another I will ban you.

That said, you are correct: I abhor that GrayMatter chassis globus is using, I wrote a short review of it in the Hardware forum a couple years back. It's literally designed backwards. https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3874-po...l#pid22234
(02-12-2016, 05:50 AM)mamexp Wrote: For anyone with non ref cards, the best place to put the fans is on the top of the cards, not side front and back like traditional cases. If you already bought non ref cards, you got no choice but making custom case for them.

This is why ref design is alot better for air controlling, front to back for rackmount.

Also another tip for anyone custom their case for air flow. Reduce the air volume in the case, so you can increase air velocity and control air going through hotspot.

I have managed to get a couple of reference design 7970s today, still on the hunt for some GTX 970 or 980 at bargain prices Smile

Using my open air design will I require fans? I am assuming so and obviously do not want to burn my rig down.
However I have seen some mining rigs using 6 of the 7970s without fans.

Since my cards are ref design I take from your post that I have the fans placed at the front/back?
I have a bit of room on the front of the cards where I can mount around 3 fans.
(02-12-2016, 07:33 AM)zozeri Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 05:50 AM)mamexp Wrote: For anyone with non ref cards, the best place to put the fans is on the top of the cards, not side front and back like traditional cases. If you already bought non ref cards, you got no choice but making custom case for them.

This is why ref design is alot better for air controlling, front to back for rackmount.

Also another tip for anyone custom their case for air flow. Reduce the air volume in the case, so you can increase air velocity and control air going through hotspot.

I have managed to get a couple of reference design 7970s today, still on the hunt for some GTX 970 or 980 at bargain prices Smile

Using my open air design will I require fans? I am assuming so and obviously do not want to burn my rig down.
However I have seen some mining rigs using 6 of the 7970s without fans.

Since my cards are ref design I take from your post that I have the fans placed at the front/back?
I have a bit of room on the front of the cards where I can mount around 3 fans.
Its always a good idea to use fans:

1. Keep the lifespan of the cards longer. Even if your card runs below 80c its still putting alot stress on other components such as VRMs which many don't even monitor.
2. Control dust. If you control airlow you can control dust.
So finally my PSU arrived today, the first one I purchased was faulty so had a bit of a delay getting up and running.

Here is a update of my rig. Bear in mind this is a project of mine, nothing too serious just. I will upgrade later down the line when I have some spare cash to throw at it.
[Image: IMG_5513_zpss2fzvlcv.jpg]

As I am aiming for this to be a remote server I have followed the article here: http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

However I am having some trouble installing the AMD catalyst, I have managed to download and unzip the driver but when I enter the following:
Code:
sh fglrx-14.301.1001/amd-driver-installer-14.301.1001-x86.x86_64.run

It starts to run and then throws this error:
Code:
ERROR: Please install the required pre-requisites before proceeding with AMD Catalyst installation. Please check file usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details.
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.OJzgrp

I have followed the guide step by step, I have also tried to do abit of googling to find out what dependancies are needed but do not want to bloat my system with trial and error attempts.

Here is the contents of the log [fglrx-install.log]
Code:
fglrx installation requires that the system has kernel headers. /lib/modules/4.2.0-27-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
Install kerner headers using the command apt-get install linux headers-4.2.0-27-generic.
Package lib32gcc1 is missing from the system. Install it using the command apt-get install lib32gcc1

So I gather that the kernel headers and lib32gcc1 need to be installed, however this is not mentioned in the article.
It also states that
Quote:32-bit libraries are a cancer
So I am a bit unsure about installing lib32gcc1.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
The guide you are following is outdated, it has not been updated in well over a year since most of us abandoned AMD in late 2014.

These days if you're using AMD it's easiest to just install 14.04 LTS and install fglrx from APT. Then just run amdconfig to generate your xorg.conf. Pretty simple.
(02-22-2016, 06:24 AM)epixoip Wrote: The guide you are following is outdated, it has not been updated in well over a year since most of us abandoned AMD in late 2014.

These days if you're using AMD it's easiest to just install 14.04 LTS and install fglrx from APT. Then just run amdconfig to generate your xorg.conf. Pretty simple.

Thanks for your super fast reply!

Ill get some sleep its 4:30am here, in the morning try as you recommend.