Nvidia stock vs overclocked vs superclocked
Hi,

I'm going to purchase 1-2 1070s for hashcat, john and other CL applications.
The 1070 seems to be good iop/€ and power consumption choice.

They will be installed into an ATX Tower which has plenty of cooling. The motherboard temp. never goes over 40°C and the CPU never over 45°C. The amount of fans installed actually pushes the air into the housing dropping the PSU temperature noticably. - So I guess ambient temperature issues are not really something to consider for me.

However I wonder whether to get the default speed one, or the overclocked/superclocked one?

Form my perspective the gain is maybe 5-8% but how long will the card survive beeing at 100% all the time?
It's rather a question if you want the exhaust-style cooling or not. You can do the overclocking yourself anyway but changing the shroud is an issue when OEM-style cooling (that distributes the heat in the case more or less equally instead of exhausting it) turns out to be an issue. In the case of the 1070 however this shouldn't be much of a problem if you have a decent airflow in your case. 

My decision would be based upon if the machine is sitting next to me or not. If it would be under my desk I would choose the superclocked versions and make sure I have a decent airflow because it may be less noisy in theory if not I would prefer the founders edition since the exhaust-style provides better cooling if you have more than one gpu.

(09-07-2016, 02:13 PM)bastibasti Wrote: Hi,

I'm going to purchase 1-2 1070s for hashcat, john and other CL applications.
The 1070 seems to be good iop/€ and power consumption choice.

They will be installed into an ATX Tower which has plenty of cooling. The motherboard temp. never goes over 40°C and the CPU never over 45°C. The amount of fans installed actually pushes the air into the housing dropping the PSU temperature noticably. - So I guess ambient temperature issues are not really something to consider for me.

However I wonder whether to get the default speed one, or the overclocked/superclocked one?

Form my perspective the gain is maybe 5-8% but how long will the card survive beeing at 100% all the time?
sch0.org
I built a system with two Overclocked GTX 1070's and it's running almost continuously. Unfortunately I can't speak to how long the card will survive to if it helps, after running for 3 and a half days, one is running at 76c with fan speed of 45% and the other is at 70c with a fan speed of 29%.

I went with the overclocked model simply because in my opinion and experience the dual fans provide better cooling than the single fan reference models.
There are currently two very powerful fans (from an xbox360) blowing from the houing cover directly onto the pcie area of the board. The 560ti sits at 50°C when flat out - i guess heat is not the issue

I am more curious about the chip itself beeing overclocked... But I guess the overclocked cards have warranty?
They all have warranty. However the overclocking is overrated, if you care for that simply do it yourself. The Hashcat devsystem currently has 3 1080 evga founder edition that are running at about 45°C under load. My suggestion still is to buy founders edition if you have more than one card in your system.
sch0.org
i agree with kartan,

the thing is when ur system run on full load for couple of days/hours it will get hotter inside the case, the ideal of the FE cards is it taking the air and pushing it out of the case , in the other hand, non refference card like costumes one with 2-3 blades will take the hot air inside the case and will keep it in. which mean it will get hotter an hotter.

what u can do is taking refference cards (FE) , and place some fans in the rear of the case , the fans will bring fresh air from out side, (ofc that depending where ur rig is..)

and 76c is quite hot
I agree. 76°C would be too hot for me as well, mine dropped from 78 to 50 when adjusting the gpu fan from 40(default) to 100.

my housing temperature after 20 hours at 100% is currently

CPU Temperature:     +37.0 C  (high = +60.0 C, crit = +95.0 C)
MB Temperature:      +34.0 C  (high = +45.0 C, crit = +95.0 C)

so i guess temperature building up is not really in issue in my case

good to know and thanks for the answers. I ordered. 2x1070 @ 1506mhz And i will see what they do :-))