hashcat 3.10 Ubuntu 12.04 different GPUs HD5830, HD5970 - what driver works for both?
update:
basically a disaster
apt-get install fglrx-updates --> same problem, will not boot hangs here
"CPU0...
CPUFreq Utilities: Setting ondemand CPUFreq governor..."

I flashed the bios with the latest update, tried various CPU config changes. ultimately left settings on "optimized"
what is here just does not work:
For Ubuntu 14.04 you don't need to install any of those, just "aptitude install fglrx". This is covered here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

I made this procedure to install 15.9 or 15.12
note i created this from watching a youtube video

Note: this specifically says to download the linux x86_64 version and not the ubuntu x86_64
regarding this statement: "You need the installer from the AMD website. The ideal driver is 15.12, not 15.9."
There does not seem to be an "installer" unless you choose linux in the manual driver selection section.
if you choose ubuntu you have the 8 different choices I listed earlier in this thread. None of which work

Install crimson 15.12 or 15.9
==========================================================================================
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc8s5yhylbo
==========================================================================================
Go to:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Specifically this for 15.9
===================
e.g. Manually select and download - choose:
Desktop Graphics
Radeon HD Series
Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe
Linux x86_64 (DONT choose UBUNTU even if you are using UBUNTU!! )
or just go here--> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...4&rev=15.9
to download this------> amd-catalyst-15.9-linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.zip

Specifically this for 15.12
===================
e.g. choose:
Desktop Graphics
Radeon HD Series
Radeon HD7900 Series PCIe
Linux x86_64 (DONT choose UBUNTU even if you are using UBUNTU!! )
to download this------> radeon-crimson-15.12-15.302-151217a-297685e.zip
or just go here--> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...x%20x86_64
=========================================================================================

=========================================================================================
Put zip file on desktop -> rightclick -> extract here

Install dependencies
================
open terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install dkms lib32gcc1 debhelper dh-modaliases execstack
open folder you extracted
open new terminal type
cd (drag this folder into terminal to get path)
e.g. cd '/home/ismail/Desktop/fglrx-15.302' hit enter to get in path
then type:
sudo ./amd-driver-installer-15.302-x86.x86_64.run
=============================================================================
if that does not work you may need to:
=======================================
apt-get install linux-headers-4.2.0-42-generic
=============================================================================
Choose "generate a distrobution specific package" -- continue
choose I AGREE EULA
scroll down and ensure "Build package for detected OS: Ununtu/Wily
click continue
Click exit
Do you want to install generated package? - Yes
Sudo aticonfig --initial (or aticonfig dispay=All -initial -f ?????????) they dont talk about this
close terminal and reboot
Look for installed software AMD Control Center should detect your cards
======================================================================================
to uninstall:
=========
open terminal
sudo dpkg -r fglrx fglrx-core fglrx-dev fglrx-amdcccle
press enter and then reboot
======================================================================================

15.12 installs but i get the locked boot and CPU error
15.9 does not install and gives me an error - here is the log:

NOTE: If your system has logged the missing packages required for installation, install them in the order as per the log file to resolve package-dependency issues.
fglrx installation requires that the system has kernel headers. /lib/modules/4.2.0-42-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
Install kernel headers using the command apt-get install linux-headers-4.2.0-42-generic

and.. when i try this: apt-get install linux-headers-4.2.0-42-generic
i get:

Reading state information... Done
linux-headers-4.2.0-42-generic is already the newest version.
linux-headers-4.2.0-42-generic set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

so.. I am stuck.. 2 weeks ago I had a working system. I cannot seem to get anything working anymore.
Out of things to try.

I will say that the only two desktops I have ever had work are ubuntu mate and gnome
ubuntu mate I like the most. the file brower is superior to the gnome and you can remote desktop into the server from a windows computer no problem. I was able to get VNC working with gnome but never remote desktop.

Anyone have any ideas or a better procedure to try?
Yes, update your GPU and save alot of headache Smile
(10-30-2016, 03:31 PM)atom Wrote: Yes, update your GPU and save alot of headache Smile

Lol.. well the trouble is I have 5 of them not just 1
Also, I dont really seem to have any errors specifically relating to GPU. My hang up right now is mostly failure to boot at the set CPUFreqency step on Boot. Seems to do this with all the drivers.
Maybe I need another cpu ?
Update:
after completely installing 14.04 LTS many many times.. and researching and trying to figure out what changed here is what i have learned.

I started following the wiki procedure
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto
and
Building a Password Cracking Rig for Hashcat - Part II (cant grab the link at the moment but it is in the wiki)

For various reasons nothing ever worked right most of my problems are with the GUI..
XDM lightdm, gnome, mate etc.. tried them all
I actually had everyting working with Gnome at one point.
and briefly working with mate (my favorite)
but now no matter what I do I have the CPUFreq lockup on boot.

The problem is that i skip the XDM install here

Install all the things:
aptitude install build-essential dkms xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core \
xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-video-dummy x11-xserver-utils fglrx xdm

why? because XDM never seems to work right e.g. it will not let me log in
Gnome and mate do.

so at some point i decided to skip the install of xdm and go directly to ubuntu mate.
But then.. i also skip this section:

Configure all the things:
cat > /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup << EOF
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin
export HOME=/root
export DISPLAY=:0
xset -dpms
xset s off
xhost +
EOF

echo 'export DISPLAY=:0' >> ~/.bashrc
echo 'export DISPLAY=:0' >> /etc/skel/.bashrc

update-rc.d xdm defaults

sync && reboot

and this seems to be the beginning of the problem!! ------------> update-rc.d xdm defaults

that particular line does not work because there is no xdm
(yes i may go back to installing xdm just so i can run this and then install mate - seems a little wasteful) but piecing it all together this is what I believe worked however there were several other display managers that I tried around that time - getting the order correct just so that one line works is not easy.

hoping some of these ideas work
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2330427

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/initscripts.htm

my biggest problem is stopping CPUFrequtils from running on start up, because it will not run - it just hangs at that point.

I have tried going into the script that it uses to determine "performance" or "ondemand" or ENABLE="true" (make false)
but something overwrites this and it trys to run and just hangs.

i could probably just run OCL hashcat strictly by command line but it is so anoying changing commands without being able to cut and paste form a notepad. Mounting and unmounting usb drives is also rediculous. need a graphical user interface..
(10-28-2016, 09:13 PM)ICONOCLAST Wrote: update:
basically a disaster
apt-get install fglrx-updates   --> same problem, will not boot hangs here
"CPU0...

Update:
Wow guess what?!
After installing this over and over again trying different things I just happened to switch the VGA cable from the monitor from one card to another - EUREKA..!

SO when it looks like it is hanging here:
"CPU0...

ITS NOT! That just stays there looking like you are frozen - meanwhile mate or gnome or whatever you are doing switches to another card and is probably displaying a login screen that you cant see.
So for example if i have 5 HD5830 cards and I start the install process with my monitor plugged in to GPU 0, once I get the CPU message i just move the vga cable to the next card and the login screen is sitting there waiting.
This persists through reboots so I never have to change the cable again.

I have created a procedure that successfully works with 14.04 and mate.
Its really rough and patched together from other procedures and lots of trial and error but it may help someone.
I will post as soon as I have a chance.