How to Create the Rules for This Password Structure
I am trying to carry out a dictionary attack for a password that is of this structure:
  • 15 characters

• Lowercase letters and 0-9

• First a five letter word then 4 numbers, then 6 letter word
Examples of possible passwords:
creek8937basket
arrow3156hardly
eager4109eleven

How would I create the rules for this. I have a dictionary of the ~6000 english 5 letter words and top 10000 english 6 letter words. I could put those together into one dictionary but I am not sure how to make the rules for the above. Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance!
This sounds like the Xfinity default password format. The way I accomplished it was to setup a ruleset that puts the numbers in the middle of an already combined wordlist using the inset rule. It's fairly simple to do, an example of a word and rule combo would look like this:

Word:
creekbasket

Rule:
i58 i69 i73 i87
Shocked 
(01-27-2017, 12:40 AM)Chick3nman Wrote: This sounds like the Xfinity default password format. The way I accomplished it was to setup a ruleset that puts the numbers in the middle of an already combined wordlist using the inset rule. It's fairly simple to do, an example of a word and rule combo would look like this:

Word:
creekbasket

Rule:
i58 i69 i73 i87

Thank you for your reply!Smile Yes, its a Cisco DPC3941B router and the service is xfinity. Is the dictionary you used online? I would love to use that one! Also, I am new to the hashcat rules: do those rules mean insert 8637 at spaces 5, 6, 7, and 8? But if I want to go through all the combos of numbers do you know how I would do that? For example I would want to go systematically like this:

apple0000anchor
apple0000basket
apple0000zygote
apple0001anchor
apple9999zygote
brick0000anchor

etc. So the last word changes 5000 times before the last number goes up 1, and so on.
(01-27-2017, 03:58 PM)rustyshackleford Wrote: Thank you for your reply!Smile Yes, its a Cisco DPC3941B router and the service is xfinity. Is the dictionary you used online? I would love to use that one! Also, I am new to the hashcat rules: do those rules mean insert 8637 at spaces 5, 6, 7, and 8? But if I want to go through all the combos of numbers do you know how I would do that? For example I would want to go systematically like this:

apple0000anchor
apple0000basket
apple0000zygote
apple0001anchor
apple9999zygote
brick0000anchor

etc. So the last word changes 5000 times before the last number goes up 1, and so on.

Yes, that is how the rule works. You'll need to generate a rule for each number so 10000 rules total. Sounds like a lot but you use the maskprocessor from hashcatutils to generate the rules for you. The list I've used before is available on another forum I'm not sure I can link but the people working on it abandoned it a while ago so It's possible its already outdated. I can try to dig it up if you'd like it.
Here's how to do it with maskprocessor: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=rul...kprocessor