Avoid character occurrance in brute force attack
(03-09-2017, 12:31 PM)atom Wrote: Yes, for hashcat that is it. OpenCL might be different, but this is not OpenCL support forum!
successfully installed last hashcat's version(3.40), openCL intel runtime and nvidia driver too, but when I try to use any hashcat command, now I get the following:

''
hashcat (v3.40) starting...

clGetDeviceIDs(): CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

clGetDeviceIDs(): CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

* Device #1: Device local mem size is too small

No devices found/left

Started: Mon Mar 13 02:25:00 2017
Stopped: Mon Mar 13 02:25:00 2017 ''

.....What now?
This might have various reasons. It's very clear from the error message that neither the intel driver nor the nvidia driver are correctly/completely installed.

Firstly, you must make sure that the nvidia module is loaded (at startup) and running, i.e. that your system uses the Nvidia driver, not the open-source driver (vs proprietary one, e.g. mesa or something similar vs Nvidia/AMD/Intel blob).

It could also be that your system has 2 GPUs (the SOC one and the dedicated). Here, the SOC GPU sometimes can be easily disabled within the UEFI/BIOS.

Furthermore, all drivers need to be ICD registered such that the programs can "see" the different OpenCL environments. I'm not sure what type of system/distro you use, but for instance some tests on the The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux distro showed that one needs to install both nvidia-driver AND nvidia-opencl-icd (or as an alternative also the nvidia dkms package).
Of course, if you install the drivers directly from nvidia.com things might be very different.

Hashcat always recommended that you can/should install the drivers directly from nvidia.com because we can't make sure that the distro packages work correctly, but I know not all users want to mess around with the .run files from Nvidia ...

Maybe you can at least explain how you installed the driver and how you registered the ICDs?

It also makes sense to use some external tools like "clinfo" such that you can make sure it is not ("only") a hashcat problem, but other programs can't see the OpenCL environments either.
Thx
(03-13-2017, 01:42 PM)philsmd Wrote: This might have various reasons. It's very clear from the error message that neither the intel driver nor the nvidia driver are correctly/completely installed.

Firstly, you must make sure that the nvidia module is loaded (at startup) and running, i.e. that your system uses the Nvidia driver, not the open-source driver (vs proprietary one, e.g. mesa or something similar vs Nvidia/AMD/Intel blob).

It could also be that your system has 2 GPUs (the SOC one and the dedicated). Here, the SOC GPU sometimes can be easily disabled within the UEFI/BIOS.

Furthermore, all drivers need to be ICD registered such that the programs can "see" the different OpenCL environments. I'm not sure what type of system/distro you use, but for instance some tests on the The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux distro showed that one needs to install both nvidia-driver AND nvidia-opencl-icd (or as an alternative also the nvidia dkms package).
Of course, if you install the drivers directly from nvidia.com things might be very different.

Hashcat always recommended that you can/should install the drivers directly from nvidia.com because we can't make sure that the distro packages work correctly, but I know not all users want to mess around with the .run files from Nvidia ...

Maybe you can at least explain how you installed the driver and how you registered the ICDs?

It also makes sense to use some external tools like "clinfo" such that you can make sure it is not ("only") a hashcat problem, but other programs can't see the OpenCL environments either.
Thx
I'm on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux 2016.2 distro, live USB Boot and my hw specs are core i5 first generation(2010) plus Nvidia 330m(my PC is a notebook)...
Now, I've installed the Nvidia driver after downloading the .Run file from their site (I think this should be works fine because issuing the command "nvidia-smi" it shows the driver version I actually installed)....The possible problem maybe the openCL runtime for cpu, because when I started the installation process, it warned me saying something like: "OS not supported...Ubuntu 12.04 not found"....so, since I've downloaded the Ubuntu version of the opencl(assuming it was compatible with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)) maybe I've chosen the wrong version, and if this is the case, can you help me choose a compatible version with my The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux distro(64 bit of course)..
P.S.
Anyway it is sure that the error it gaves me, depends from one of these two software components(Nvidia driver or openCL)... Isn't it?
At least we've restricted the reasons that are causing the problem