ERROR: clGetDeviceIDs() -1 on Ubuntu server 12.04
I'm trying to install oclHashcat on Ubuntu server 12.04 X64. I installed ATI drivers by following instruction on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI --> 2.1. Installing via the command line.

Then installed amd-app_2.4_amd64.deb. When I try to start oclHashcat I get:

Code:
$ ./oclHashcat-lite64.bin -m1400 test
ERROR: clGetDeviceIDs() -1

Drivers seem to be working:

Code:
$ sudo aticonfig --list-adapters
* 0. 01:00.0 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

* - Default adapter

Note that I also tried to manually install latest/older drivers and SDK directly from ATI website on Ubuntu desktop 12.10 X64 but failed with same error message.

Thanks for your help!
Uninstall AMD APP SDK, you do not need it and should not have it installed.

This is not a hashcat issue, but rather an issue with your OpenCL runtime environment. Make sure that:

1. You are using Catalyst 12.8
2. You removed any previous xorg.conf* files
3. You generated a proper xorg.conf using 'amdconfig --adapter=all --initial'
4. X11 is running
5. You have the DISPLAY environment variable properly set to your display (commonly ":0")
6. You are running hashcat as the user that is logged into X11 -or- you have disabled X11 ACLs.

You can debug your OpenCL environment through the use of the 'clinfo' command. If clinfo cannot see your GPUs, then hashcat can't see your GPUs.
Just realized you said you're running Ubuntu Server. This is fine, but I suspect your issue is that you did not manually install X11. Unfortunately X11 is required for fglrx to actually communicate with your GPUs (this has actually changed in Catalyst 12.10+, X-less setups are now possible but X is still required to use ADL commands to get/set fanspeed, etc.)

Install a minimal X11 environment:

Code:
aptitude install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-video-ati lightdm unity-greeter openbox

Then, edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and add the following (replacing YOUR_USER_NAME with the user you will be running hashcat as):

Code:
[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=openbox
autologin-user=YOUR_USER_NAME
autologin-user-timeout=0

Then add your username to the nopasswdlogin group:

Code:
usermod -a -G nopasswdlogin $USERNAME

Get build dependencies for Catalyst:

Code:
aptitude build-dep fglrx

Download and install Catalyst 12.8:

Code:
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-8-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-driver-installer-12-8-x86.x86_64.zip
sh amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall=force
sh amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run

Generate a new xorg.conf:

Code:
rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
amdconfig --adapter=all --initial

Make sure the DISPLAY env var is set:

Code:
echo 'export DISPLAY=:0' >>~/.bashrc

Reboot, and you should be all set.
Thank you very much. Made it work just before seeing your second post. I needed to install X11 with OpenBox and Catalyst 12.8.