old box compatibility with Hashcat
Well,  I have searched a lot for this but no luck. I have an old box Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 processor 2.8 MHz with 40 GB disk space and a 512 MB memory able to be upgraded to 1 GB. I got Lubuntu installed and able to SSH it from my laptop.

Installed hashcat via apt-get but it doesn't work!

Any idea how to get it work on the CPU ? or are older versions be able to run smoothly with such specifications? I need it for testing purposes and to use it in cracking even if it is slower as it is better than non used at all.

Thanks
You'll need hashcat-legacy but even then your CPU might be way too old.
That's probably a typo, I think epixoip means hashcat-legacy (https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat-legacy), i.e. the (old) CPU-based only hashcat tool (that was called "hashcat" before "oclHashcat" was merged with it to just "hashcat")
Thank you epixoip & philsmd. I got it worked with hashcat v2.00 the benchmark command :

Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop/hashcat$ ./hashcat.bin -b
Initializing hashcat v2.00 with 1 threads and 32mb segment-size...

Device...........: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Instruction set..: x86_32
Number of threads: 1

Hash type: MD4
Speed/sec: 3.64M words

Hash type: MD5
Speed/sec: 3.10M words

Hash type: SHA1
Speed/sec: 2.72M words

Very slow but I will try to get the maximum of it. I don't know if I can buy a GPU for such box or not, what do you recommend please if I want to buy a GPU ?

Thanks for helping me
(07-14-2017, 09:27 AM)philsmd Wrote: That's probably a typo, I think epixoip means hashcat-legacy

Heh, yes I did. I corrected it. Do you know how many times per day I type the word "hashstack"? Smile In the future feel free to simply edit my post Wink