ERROR: Use of -r/--rules-file and -g/--rules-generate only allowed in attack mode 0.
Running hashcat 3.6.0 (althought hashcat --version shows 'pull/1273/head'). I'm getting this error:

Use of -r/--rules-file and -g/--rules-generate only allowed in attack mode 0.

This is the command I'm using:

hashcat -m 0 -a 1 ./hashes-long.txt ./rockyou.txt -r /usr/share/hashcat/rules/combinator.rule

I don't know why it thinks I'm using '-g'. I'm new to hashcat, so maybe I'm missing a step? Shouldn't this work?
you need to use -a 0 to use --rules-file (or short -r). The same is true for --rules-generate (or short -g), it is only supported with straight/dictionary attack (-a 0).
(08-24-2017, 08:23 PM)philsmd Wrote: you need to use -a 0 to use --rules-file (or short -r). The same is true for --rules-generate (or short -g), it is only supported with straight/dictionary attack (-a 0).

Ah, okay. I was trying to use the same example as found in this video:

https://youtu.be/KnkjBW3fMVo?t=2m37s

Do you know why it might have been working for her in the video?

I appreciate the help! I just discovered this tool a couple of days ago, so I'm still trying to learn how to use it properly.
Within this video hashcat-legacy (https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat-legacy) is being used and not the new hashcat.

Yeah, 2 of the differences we notice here between hashcat-legacy and hashcat is that with hashcat-legacy you need (and can) only specify 1 single dictionary for combinator attack (while -a 1 in hashcat works with 2 dicts e.g. -a 1 left.txt right.txt) ... and that with hashcat-legacy you could also apply rules within -a 1 attack.

Unfortunately it is not very clear from the video that hashcat-legacy is being used (except if you know how the output looks like, then you will see the differences immediately). You can't use hashcat-legacy (CPU only) exactly as you would use the new hashcat (every OpenCL device is supported), you can't compare them 1:1 and you should better read the wiki/faq/forum posts to learn how to use it.
(08-24-2017, 08:46 PM)philsmd Wrote: Within this video hashcat-legacy (https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat-legacy) is being used and not the new hashcat.

Yeah, 2 of the differences we notice here between hashcat-legacy and hashcat is that with hashcat-legacy you need (and can) only specify 1 single dictionary for combinator attack (while -a 1 in hashcat works with 2 dicts e.g. -a 1 left.txt right.txt) ... and that with hashcat-legacy you could also apply rules within -a 1 attack.

Unfortunately it is not very clear from the video that hashcat-legacy is being used (except if you know how the output looks like, then you will see the differences immediately). You can't use hashcat-legacy (CPU only) exactly as you would use the new hashcat (every OpenCL device is supported), you can't compare them 1:1 and you should better read the wiki/faq/forum posts to learn how to use it.

That makes a lot of sense. I think I was running into examples online of hashcat-legacy without realizing it. I'll try to stick to the wiki. I appreciate the help!