do hashcat-utils use the gpu's?
Hi there - I've been tinkering with hashcat for a few weeks now.  I'm interested in using the combinator3 function within the hashcat-utils package.  I was able to get it to work, but it is incredibly slow.  Something tells me it is not using the GPUs.

I decided to pivot back to the normal hashcat tool and performed the combinator attack using just 2 out of the 3 files.  This works, but I would also like to receive an output of the password candidates and that isn't going very well.

so, 2 questions:
1. Is there a way to ensure the combinator3 is using the gpus i have on-board...?

2. how do i get hashcat to output the pw candidates to a text file?  

Thanks!
If you are piping combinator3 output to hashcat, then if hashcat reports that it is using the GPUs, then it is.

What's more likely is that the rate of wordlist generation is low enough that you'd need to supply hashcat with more work to perform (mostly rules):

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fre...full_speed
~
Combinator3 is not going to be using the GPUs because it isn't doing any heavy computations. It's very simply combing 3 files and spitting out the candidates.

You can use the --stdout flag in hashcat to export the candidates, however, that would be a terrible idea. That file is going to be HUGE for you to try and store.
(10-19-2017, 09:42 PM)Chick3nman Wrote: Combinator3 is not going to be using the GPUs because it isn't doing any heavy computations. It's very simply combing 3 files and spitting out the candidates.

You can use the --stdout flag in hashcat to export the candidates, however, that would be a terrible idea. That file is going to be HUGE for you to try and store.

I understand that the resulting file is going to be huge; I fully intend to create it.  When I run the combinations command like this:

./hashcat -m 0 -a 1 hash test1 test2

It takes about 10 minutes to run through all the combinations.  However, I want it to print out to a file all the password candidates.  I'm just mashing buttons at this point because I can't figure out how to get it to do just that - I'm fine if it takes an hour to complete btw.
(10-19-2017, 09:40 PM)royce Wrote: If you are piping combinator3 output to hashcat, then if hashcat reports that it is using the GPUs, then it is.

What's more likely is that the rate of wordlist generation is low enough that you'd need to supply hashcat with more work to perform (mostly rules):

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fre...full_speed

Thanks for replying, IDK what you mean by piping the wordlist generation to hashcat...I'm very new to this, so bear with me...
Piping is the method of feeding the output generated by various utilities into HashCat as input.

For eg.You can pipe the output of the MaskProcessor by this simple command:

mp64 ?d?d?d|hashcat64 -a 0 -m 1000 hash.txt

Here the password candidates are generated by MaskProcessor and is fed into HashCat(notice the pipe symbol at the mid.)

The same is applied for other utilities.