Will HD7970 (R9 280X) still work with Hashcat?
I'm dusting off an older rig from a couple years ago that has 2X HD7970 GPU's in it ( I believe they are the same thing as R9 280X.).  Yeah, I realize that AMD isn't what it used to be for cracking hashes, but wanted to knock some rust off prior to investing in a new rig.  From the research I've done, it appears that the HD7970 card isn't supported due to the following requirement for Hashcat
  • AMD GPUs on Linux require "RadeonOpenCompute (ROCm)" Software Platform (1.6.180 or later) - I can't find this GPU listed in the list of supported GPU's
Is there anyway to get Hashcat running with my existing HD7970 GPU's?  Perhaps an older build or maybe using Windows instead of Linux?

Thanks
(11-03-2017, 11:54 PM)walterlacka Wrote: I'm dusting off an older rig from a couple years ago that has 2X HD7970 GPU's in it ( I believe they are the same thing as R9 280X.).  Yeah, I realize that AMD isn't what it used to be for cracking hashes, but wanted to knock some rust off prior to investing in a new rig.  From the research I've done, it appears that the HD7970 card isn't supported due to the following requirement for Hashcat
  • AMD GPUs on Linux require "RadeonOpenCompute (ROCm)" Software Platform (1.6.180 or later) - I can't find this GPU listed in the list of supported GPU's
Is there anyway to get Hashcat running with my existing HD7970 GPU's?  Perhaps an older build or maybe using Windows instead of Linux?

Thanks

Why not use just newer drivers all amd card work on new drivers from 5870 generation.
(11-03-2017, 11:54 PM)walterlacka Wrote: I'm dusting off an older rig from a couple years ago that has 2X HD7970 GPU's in it ( I believe they are the same thing as R9 280X.).  Yeah, I realize that AMD isn't what it used to be for cracking hashes, but wanted to knock some rust off prior to investing in a new rig.  From the research I've done, it appears that the HD7970 card isn't supported due to the following requirement for Hashcat

Thanks

Hey there!
I had an r9 280x rig operating, just until a few months ago...
What I did, was install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I think it is supported until 2019 spring), which still has the fglrx driver, which You can easily install (sudo apt-get install fglrx). Then install an older version of Hashcat (I think I had 3.30, but try a few one around that release, you can find them on the Hashcat web page), and use the "--force" option.
It's not the most elegant solution, but it works!
Cheers!
Thanks for the replies.  I ended up loading Win 10 and the latest Radeon Crimson drivers and it's now working.  Not ideal, but for now gets the job done.