Use with Xeon Phi
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a Xeon Phi model 7110p with 61 cores and 8Gb on chip RAM. Has anyone tried running hashcat on a Phi, and if so was it successful or unsuccessful, and does any documentation exist on running hashcat on the Phi by chance?

Thanks for any assitsance you can provide.
Search the forum for "Xeon phi" - you'll find a few hits, but focus on the ones 2016 and later (that's when support was added, IIRC). Also IIRC the performance is not stellar.
~
(06-07-2018, 06:29 PM)royce Wrote: Search the forum for "Xeon phi" - you'll find a few hits, but focus on the ones 2016 and later (that's when support was added, IIRC). Also IIRC the performance is not stellar.

I greatly appreciate the reply, I did a search prior to posting but couldn't find any instructions or usecases, but did see some speeds posted.
I don't think there's anything special required. If the OS, GPU drivers, and OpenCL are installed properly and supported, it should Just Work™. Smile
~
I did some test on xeon phi with atoms help around half a year ago but the opencl performance was very low. I would love to hear back from you with some updated benchmarks
(06-11-2018, 10:30 AM)rvn Wrote: I did some test on xeon phi with atoms help around half a year ago but the opencl performance was very low. I would love to hear back from you with some updated benchmarks

Right now I am mainly trying to just get the binaries to run, I was able to get it fired up in a newer server, got my access squared away, and I was able to map a CIFS share from host to the Phi, however the one issue I can't seem to resolve is getting the hashcat64.bin or 32.bin to run, I get "/hashcat64.bin: cannot execute binary file".

I haven't gotten to break the Phi too much yet, so it may just be an oversight on something I am doing wrong, I did try and chmod +x the file but it seems to return the same thing. I do have regular and root access but nether seem to have gotten it to run.
That's not a Phi problem; that's an OS problem. What OS is it?
~
(06-11-2018, 05:19 PM)royce Wrote: That's not a Phi problem; that's an OS problem. What OS is it?

Host OS is Windows 10, which is a supported OS according to the Phi windows userguide, I did install the OpenCL runtime driver for the Phi already and the OpenCL for the Xeon. Xeon's specifically are E5-2650's, system is bare metal, no hypervisor or anything.

The Phi is running the Intel minimal Linux OS they came up with.
(06-11-2018, 05:19 PM)royce Wrote: That's not a Phi problem; that's an OS problem. What OS is it?

Ok might be an issue with myself, I've been trying to run the binaries on the Phi itself for hashcat, which may be the wrong way now that I am looking at it. I did install the OpenCL drivers for the Phi from the deprecated releases for the OpenCL runtime drivers for the Phi from here https://software.intel.com/en-us/article...ers#phiwin, however when I had the latest intel drivers when I ran `hashcat64.exe -I` it returned my Xeon's, with that in mind I thought if I uninstall the latest OpenCL and install the ones for the Phi specifically I could access it...however when I run `hashcat64.exe -I` with the 14.2 runtime for the Phi I am met with ./OpenCL/ no such file or directory so I am thinking I have some issues with software and not hashcat itself.
Ok, I am just dumb. Pretty much what I was trying to do was run the hashcat binaries on the Phi itself by copying the hashcat zip to the Phi, extracting it, then trying to do ./hashcat64.bin and etc. What I learned is I am just an idiot, and what I needed to do was get the Phi to be recongnized as an OpenCL device, it wasn't. After some Google-fu I came across an Intel thread that specifcally said newer versions of the Coprocessor driver do not support passing the Phi off to the host as an OpenCL device. So what I had to do was remove the newest 3.8 coprocessor drivers, install the 3.3.4 drivers, reboot, and then running `hascat64.exe -I`and TADA!!! magically it appeared!

@royce sorry for any confusion, but I appreciate the timely responses and hope to have some benchmarks done soon once I tinker more.