PDF password created through Mac OS Preview app
Hello, I have a PDF document and saved it with the Preview App of Mac OS. I think it uses 128bit key encryption by default and as the document is mine, I chose the password by myself. I created a dictionary with the words I use when I create passwords and would like to try all the possible permutations of that words.
How can I do it using hashcat?
(12-08-2018, 07:39 PM)younghashcatter Wrote: Hello, I have a PDF document and saved it with the Preview App of Mac OS. I think it uses 128bit key encryption by default and as the document is mine, I chose the password by myself. I created a dictionary with the words I use when I create passwords and would like to try all the possible permutations of that words.
How can I do it using hashcat?

I managed to get some result with the following command:
Code:
hashcat -m 10500 -a 1 -j '$!' -k '$!' hash dict1 dict2 -O
I would like to put a ! in front of the words of the first dictionary but using -j '!$' does not have effect and as another example, using -k '$-!' does not produce the final words to end in '-!'.
The append rule $ does only append and takes exactly one argument. $-! means "append - and then apply rule !". (! is a completely different rule and has one argument again). If you want to append "-!" you need the rule "$-$!".

If you want to prepend you need to use the rule for prepending a character. Check out https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=rule_based_attack
thank you very much!