SQL2012 - Token Length Exception
I am new to this so I apologize if I am missing something simple.

Trying to decrypt some SQL server 2012 login passwords 

keep getting the error message Token Length Exception

C:\hashcat>hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 1731 -p : -o "C:\hashcat\SQL_passwords.txt" -w 2 "C:\hashcat\Hashes.txt" -1 ?l?u?d?s ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 --force
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting...
OpenCL Platform #1: Intel(R) Corporation
========================================
* Device #1: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640, 2047/6515 MB allocatable, 48MCU
* Device #2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50GHz, skipped.
Hash 'C:\hashcat\Hashes.txt': Token length exception
No hashes loaded.
Started: Wed Dec 19 10:42:25 2018
Stopped: Wed Dec 19 10:42:26 2018
C:\hashcat>
First of all, hashes (yeah all hashes, including the SQL hashes) are not decryptable, you must crack them.

The error message clearly says that it tried to use the hash "C:\hashcat\Hashes.txt" which is not a valid hash. If you want to specify a path to a file containing hashes, you need to specify the correct path. If the file is not found (like in your case), hashcat tries to load that command line argument as a hash directly.

Long story short, make sure that the file C:\hashcat\Hashes.txt' exists.
(it must also contain valid hashes, like the ones/examples here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/example_hashes , but that's not the problem in your case. The problem is that the FILE was NOT found).
Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction...  This is somewhat embarrassing ...
hashes.txt.txt   is not the same as hashes.txt 

I apologize for the simplicity of this problem. 

(12-19-2018, 07:37 PM)philsmd Wrote: First of all, hashes (yeah all hashes, including the SQL hashes) are not decryptable, you must crack them.

The error message clearly says that it tried to use the hash "C:\hashcat\Hashes.txt" which is not a valid hash. If you want to specify a path to a file containing hashes, you need to specify the correct path. If the file is not found (like in your case), hashcat tries to load that command line argument as a hash directly.

Long story short, make sure that the file C:\hashcat\Hashes.txt' exists.
(it must also contain valid hashes, like the ones/examples here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/example_hashes , but that's not the problem in your case. The problem is that the FILE was NOT found).