Restore hashcat with no session saved
So I was running a 24h cracking session and was halfway through when the power was cut off. I don't have a restore point but I remember I was a little over 50% into the process. I was cracking using dictionary simply generated using "crunch 8 8 0123456789ABCDEF" command. Can I just tell hashcat to start at 50%? Or do I have to split my dict in two and run hashcat with the second half?
running "hashcat --restore" should do the trick. But why are you using crunch to generate such stupid dicts? Use a mask attack.
using crunch makes NO sense here.

hashcat supports mask attack with -a 3 (see https://hashcat.net/wiki/?id=mask_attack), something like:
Code:
hashcat -m 0 -a 3 -w 3 -O hashes.txt ?H?H?H?H?H?H?H?H

you can use --keyspace to see how large the total keyspace is.

then you calculate the 50 % percentage of it: 0.50 * keyspace (from the --keyspace output)

and then you use the -s (or long option: --skip) to skip the first 50 % of the keyspace.

Note that it is important that you use --keyspace with the correct options (like -m, -O, -S etc) that you used previously.

e.g.
Code:
hashcat -m 0 --keyspace dict.txt
Code:
>hashcat64.exe --restore
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting in restore mode...

Restore file './hashcat.restore': No such file or directory

My initial attempt was with the mask attack but it is slower for me - about 41000H/s:

.png   bruteforce.png (Size: 59.59 KB / Downloads: 7)

While dictionary attack runs at about 48000H/s:

.png   dictionary.png (Size: 53.57 KB / Downloads: 5)

It's GTX 670.
it's not clear from the screenshot if you used

-O and -w 3
I'm using -O and -w 3 with mask attack reaches about 46000H/s but everything else is very laggy. With dictionary attack I'm using -w 2, it gets 48000H/s and PC is completely responsive to other things.